PDA

View Full Version : Comment on Policies of Web Site Sale Forum

irvinehosting
02-25-2004, 02:00 AM
Hi steve, can I ask you a question about your website sale forum?

First let me say I like your site and I like the fact that is highly moderated. I kinda get the feeling I'm in a nice safe bay shielded from the dangerous ocean waters.

But in regard to "websites for sale" forum, I think maybe some improvements could be made.

I have tried to sell some stuff in the past on this site and basically 5-6 people just start systematically attacking the site. Every aspect of the site is put up for public ridicule. It seems like it is almost encouraged to destroy the credibility of the sale as much as possible. This is the primary reason I think very few people actually use that forum.

I have just recently tried two other popular sites and was surprised and relieved to find that not only were these tactics discouraged, they violated the terms of the forum. I have been getting literally dozens of inquiries, all positive and excited about my sites for sale.

I just think if you change your policies a little bit, you could have just as much success with your website sale forum.

I look at it this way. If I posted my house for sale on a board and the people on that board started calling it a pile of termite food and saying that someone died in the house and I was lying to cover it up, that would upset me a great deal and I would not ever post real estate on that site again. Not just for the rudeness of the members but also because there is little chance of a sale in the face of such accusations. And it seems like there is not much different between my analogy and what is going on in the "website forum".

So anyway, I mention this because I just posted some sites for sale elsewhere and was absolutely shocked by the difference in attitude between those sites (dnxxxxx & jimxxxxx) and my past experiences with this site.

I hope this feedback is constructive to you and I mean it in the best possible way.

Jan
02-25-2004, 06:02 AM
I hope you don't mind me putting my 10 cents worth in here :)

I know where you are coming from as I mod other boards also. The way I see it, you are selling something and people (or one person) are/is going to buy it. It makes sense that people would want to know all the ins and outs before they hand over their hard earned money to you (or any seller).

Now to forum policies :)

I have received reports from the seller that "joeblow" is trashing my sales thread. We investigate and evaluate. If they are asking constructive questions that require an answer, we do nothing. If it is outright trashing, like "your website has termites" :D, it would be removed and the user cautioned. In other scenarios (other forums), if they are just replying for the sake of it and being negative, that would also be removed.

Now as for this forum, If you feel you are being unduly attacked, please use the report this post link and explain why you think you are. Remember, people want value for their $$, and if they have to question things, and you can answer them openly and honestly, you have a sale! :)

Steve_S
02-25-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi irvinehosting

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas. Natch, Jan is spot on :)

Frankly, most of the harsher threads involve folks selling sites with stolen content or content that has legal/DMCA issues.

I'm glad you closed your sales and Iv'e always tried to provide folks with other Forums to post their sales. Witness:

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23745

The Forum was chartered with the goal of providing current members with a post count above x with a place to sell sites and was never intended to be a major traffic point nor will it ever be this. It just doesn't fit with our other strong points and the way I monitize the Forums. Also, you don't and can't build real Community with Forums that sell stuff since a significant number of posters do it once or twice and then never return. DNforum is an exception since that's all they do and they do it much better than me.

As I say in our Posting Guide (Item 10) at: http://www.geekvillage.com/posting_guide_for_bb.htm

"Both of these Forums have become an administrative nightmare. Here are the most frequently violated Rules which always result in a permanent lifetime ban without warning and please don't bother writing us:-----"

Iv'e come very close to just closing the Forum down or charging for each post and then it becomes a one way conversation.

My attorney told me to close it down 6 months ago because of the serious potential for legal problems. Iv'e tried my best to help both parties in a civil and respectfull fashion but Forums are by their nature an imperfect relationship.

Please take a read at the sticky posts and you will see some of the other issues which we run into.

I appreciate your feedback and if you have other thoughts then please don't hesitate to use our BB Feedback Form and only this Form.

Good luck.

:angel: