PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to our new home. Please login. Read Me!

Steve_S
07-13-2003, 09:17 AM
July 13, 2003 - San Diego, CA, USA

Hello members and visitors,

Thank you for your outstanding support and help. Welcome to our new home. The migration proceeded as expected and no data was lost.

Please login via the form located in the bottom right corner of our Forums home page. This sets your cookie for our new location.

Please bookmark our new location which is:
http://205.214.88.86/forums/

DNS has been changed and propagation to GeekVillage.com should be completed in a few days.

Additional technical details:

1. Central Ad (my advert script) seems to have a problem on this server. Because of this, I have disabled all adverts on a temporary basis untill I have more time to investigate the issue. Those running full campaigns and or the $49.95 special will all recieve an additional 7 days exstension in your campaign term free of charge. My backup advert serving script is PhpAdsNew.

2. We have upgraded to vB 2.3.0

3. Speed for me seems just dandy.

4. The site (not the Forums) still needs some edits and tweaks which I will work on. The "includes" break untill DNS/Propagation kicks in.

5. My special thanks and enduring admiration to our own singloon /eva2000 aka Georgie for his tuneups and tweaks. :)

Thank you for your cooperation and help.

:angel:

Steve_S
07-13-2003, 12:17 PM
Hard redirects are in place at our old location via .htaccess which brings you directly into this location

Enjoy

:)

Jan
07-13-2003, 06:21 PM
A job well done :)

And I didn't feel a thing, I slept through the move. :D

Kathy
07-13-2003, 08:07 PM
Applause!

There is nothing more scary and tension building that moving a database and a site from one server to another.

Great job!

Steve_S
07-14-2003, 02:25 PM
Thank you ladies! :)

I'm propagated :) Are YOU :)

Not sure if thats kosher to say but it means my ISP has updated their records so geekvillage . com in my browser brings me directly to our new location. Testing available on the sites home page.

Yikes, my error log runnith over for the rest of the site and little issues I have fixed and a few more that will probably show up.

byby Central Ad. Sorry to loose an old friend but you drive the server loads up through the roof. With a gig of ram I was dissapointed but such is life.

Nintendo
07-14-2003, 07:52 PM
I get the new server, and I didn't have to login again!! I think it might be only when the actual URL changes that you have to login again.

georgec
07-14-2003, 09:20 PM
CentralAd causing load to spike up? That's funny, I thought the program is extremely efficient, especially considering the limited number of features it contains...

Steve_S
07-14-2003, 09:49 PM
True Dr. !!!!!!!!

< I just fixed the site's quiz script which required some serious surgery after the move.>

Propagation was very very very fast.

Central Ads is rather full featured. The challenge is that the script has not been updated in over 2+ years and I suspect a conflict somewhere. I stuck it into our forums, refreshed the page 10 times and loads went from 0.50 to over 3.0 If I had done that on my old server with old stuff on it, the loads would have only increaseed a tiny fraction. It's a shame because the reporting is so easy to work with and mixed media in the same region from 2 or more advertisers took years for the competition to catch up to.

Remember, this puppy was born as a C++ child before PhpAdsNew and AdvertPro and was perhaps one of only 2 solutions in the under $1000 bracket. Times change and so must yours truly :)

Kathy
07-14-2003, 10:33 PM
I use dot-banner and i think its gone under. It contains the features I like...but it is behind the times now, not being updated in several years too.

In fact, when I type in:

http://www.dot-banner.com (the old domain of this ad script) it takes me to phpads.com. (I think, haven't done it in a few months).

At any rate, I'm dreading having to change. Although I know that phpads is better, updating and more robust, i don't like change.

I think I'm getting old. ;)

/edit

It no longer takes you to phpads.com. It now goes to a php applications site...which has applications they want you to download and purchase. Strange applications that I see no use for. It made sense forwarding from dot-banner to phpads...but this isn't the same thing.

Kathy
07-14-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Steve_S

I'm propagated :) Are YOU :)

YES. :D

georgec
07-14-2003, 11:43 PM
There's a chance VB3 may come with some simple ad rotation capability. Those that wish it to happen may want to post a note here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77209

Czar
07-15-2003, 08:40 AM
Congratulations on the speedy and (relatively) flawless transition, Steve.

This must be becoming old hat for you. :)

P.S. Propagation's reached here also.