PDA

View Full Version : Server Down For Short Time

Steve_S
01-18-2003, 06:00 AM
Around 2:30AM PST on 1-18-03 our dedicated server went down.

Ring ring ring goes the phone and after my reboot it appears everything is fine. Looks like total down time was about 20 minutes. At this time I don't have a clue as to what caused this as the box was running when my sleppy eyes checked things.

My appolagies for the interuption in service.

Jan
01-18-2003, 06:19 AM
You can go to sleep now :p

.....I noticed it disappeared, I was trying to view a new thread and *poof*!! :eek:

Beware.....sleepiness affects spelling too :angel:

Steve_S
01-18-2003, 06:52 AM
I was having a really neat "dream" but I hope I can find it again :)

At least I know the site monitor works like clockwork and calls every number its supposed to faster than greased lightning.

I should have taken a screen capture of our previous uptime which was over 140 days.

:)

Jan
01-18-2003, 07:18 AM
I trust you on the 140+ days.

Sweet "dreams" ;)

singloon
01-18-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Steve_S
Around 2:30AM PST on 1-18-03 our dedicated server went down.

Ring ring ring goes the phone and after my reboot it appears everything is fine. Looks like total down time was about 20 minutes. At this time I don't have a clue as to what caused this as the box was running when my sleppy eyes checked things.

My appolagies for the interuption in service. guess i didn't miss much huh ? :)

:wave:

Steve_S
01-18-2003, 01:10 PM
Nope. Next time I will call you :)

Welcome back :angel:

Furton
01-18-2003, 07:01 PM
Steve, I don't think I'll comment on your dreams:

Scuba
01-21-2003, 10:03 AM
I think it's still tweache,
I'm getting errors all day :(

If there is a way to help........

Furton
01-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Can you tell me what monitering software you use for your server Steve please?

Steve_S
01-21-2003, 01:08 PM
I use:

http://www.alertra.com/

So far this service has been outstanding. Reasonably priced, uses 4 diverse locations, robust notify schedule, detailed logs to help geeks who can't reach the Board, and a low cost exstra charge for the actual alert.

Scoobs, I'm confused about your post. I think you mean that you can't reach the Board. Sorry... I just checked my logs and don't see a problem at my end. Perhaps it's your ISP and or a temporary "peering" problem which is specific to your routing.

As I'm sure we all know, these are very very very :) complex issues. Most hosts monitor port 80 free of charge but Iv'e never really felt comfortable with this feature even though it has worked in the past but did not work during this last outage.

Iv'e not joined their affiliate program yet but you might want to take a look as it's handled via shareasale.

HTH

Furton
01-23-2003, 04:36 PM
Cheers steve, signed up for the free service for a month then I'll go for the paid version after my months up, great pricing.