PDA

View Full Version : Problems?

Jan
10-21-2002, 03:33 AM
Steve, GV has been down more than up this afternoon, troubles in the camp again? Nice and fast now though :)

Steve_S
10-21-2002, 12:07 PM
Jan,

Sorry you couldn't reach us. I strongly suggest it's at your end.

No down time at my end. Humming along just dandy. Numerous diagnostics run througouth the day and I'm immediately sent a page, SMS message, called, and emailed if the server goes down and I also recieve these diagnostics throughout the day.

Even if I'm in the Pub or at the beach via wireless. :)

The box is also monitored from numerous locations throughout the world numerous times throught every hour of every day. This procedure includes a Ping and an HTTP request. Locations are:

Oklahoma City USA
London UK
Los Angeles USA
Frankfurt GERMANY
Detroit USA

If one location times out it moves onto the next location and so on untill it hits the alarm threshold and then I'm notified. This log looks just dandy.

Edit: I can also use the Admin of vB to see the number of registered users that hit the BB in the last 24 hours. As if I don't have enough data to worry about

HTH and sorry if I went into to much detail.

Jan
10-21-2002, 03:43 PM
I seem to recall seeing all this detail recently, did you copy and paste it? :) :p

Steve_S
10-22-2002, 04:10 PM
Yes I did :)

AND, a new FAQ to help all of us :)

Jan
10-22-2002, 04:19 PM
The new FAQ (http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18997) isn't much help if we can't reach the site to read it :D

MattC
10-22-2002, 10:39 PM
Some also DDOSed the Internet backbone DNS servers, can't help things :P

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A828-2002Oct22.html

Steve_S
10-23-2002, 02:03 AM
Yep. Those 13 root servers control millions of sites and effect billons of dollars of revenue. Scary stuff: Some aren't even in a super secure facility.

Scary scary stuff how fragile the net is. The more I learn the more I wounder :)

Read, print, and staple to your mouse those tips please :)

MattC
10-23-2002, 02:33 AM
The 'net wasn't TOO hard hit because ISPs and backbones further down the line mirror those, those are just the ones that get updated when someone gets a new domain then everything gets mirrored down the line.

According to comments on /. its just one file mirrored 13+ times, one huge file!

Jan
10-23-2002, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by Steve_S
Read, print, and staple to your mouse those tips please :)
Darned stapler broke, I guess mice and staplers don't mix :crazy:

How do I stop the mouse squeaking now? :smash:

sdarken
10-23-2002, 03:57 PM
oops. never mind.