PDA

View Full Version : Coupon code and commission to affiliates

Vrindavan
12-10-2001, 02:36 AM
Do you know any merchant do not pay affiliate commission if the buyer redeemed a coupon when they shop through an affiliate refer link?
No matter where the buyer got that coupon, including case like the affiliate had not posted that coupon on the affiliate's site.

I suspect there are many merchants have such policy not to pay any commission in case the buyer using a coupon.

The fact that these merchants have such policy PLUS they choose not to tell all their affiliates make me unhappy.

If you know of any merchant,
please share the information.

Nintendo
12-11-2001, 01:29 AM
I know Amazon.com pays. I ordered two items through my own links, used one of the three $10.00 coupons that they sent to all the affiliets, and I not only got the $10.00 off, but still got the 5% commission.

12-11-2001, 05:51 AM
I know that GiftCertificates.com doesn't pay commissions on sales, if the buyer redeems coupons that were not intended for use on the affiliate web site. GiftCertificates.com has many coupons, of which only a small ammount are for affiliate use (they email you those coupons)

Meowser
12-11-2001, 02:52 PM
Isn't it against Amazon's Affiliate agreement to purchase from your own links?

joma
12-11-2001, 03:19 PM
I think that's correct. The problem is that Amazon sets a 1-day cookie whenever you click through. So it's very easy to be unaware of having given yourself a commission.

Plus, most surfers don't know how to clear out cookies, so even if they wanted to they wouldn't be able to comply -- other than by not placing an order at all.

PaulT
12-11-2001, 03:21 PM
Amazon are not likely to notice though, are they...

joma
12-11-2001, 03:31 PM
They might very well notice, if the names or addresses are the same in an order and in the corresponding affiliate agreement. I've never heard of Amazon booting people out for minor infractions, though.

I just checked their site. I can't find it in the FAQ, but in the operating agreement they state: "You may not purchase products during sessions initiated through the links on your site..."

Of course, since they use 24-hour cookies, that leaves a huge loophole in the way the rules are laid out.

Vrindavan
12-11-2001, 10:20 PM
I don't know Amazan set a one day cookie.
Are you sure?
How about other Amazon sites?

I assume we get paid only if the buyer come through directly from affiliate link on the same browser session.

It is hard to get the buyer to purchase high priced item during first visit, such as computer and notebook at Amazon.com.

Other programs to watch:

Bluefly do not pay commission on unauthorised coupon purchase.
OfficeMax ???
Office depot ???
Allink.com ??? I see some coupon sites post their discount coupons, not sure if they are earning affiliate commission or just advertising fee?

joma
12-11-2001, 11:21 PM
It's in the FAQ. You earn a commission on anything added to an Amazon shopping cart within 24 hours, even if it's paid for much later.

Vrindavan
12-12-2001, 04:24 AM
Amazon Terms:

Referral Fees
We will pay you (in accordance with Sections 5 and 8 below) referral fees on certain Product sales to third parties. For a Product sale to be eligible to earn a referral fee, the customer must click-through a Special Link from your site to our site, and add the Product to his or her shopping cart during a session. The session ends upon one of the following events: (a) 24 hours elapses from the customer's initial click-through, (b) the customer orders the Product, or (c) the customer follows a third party's Special Link. We will only pay referral fees on such Products after order, payment and shipping have occurred.

-----------

It is not the same as one day cookie tracking/return day tracking. (pay for all transaction within one day)

A visitor may not choose to add the products to the shopping cart.

He/she can
just add them to wishlist;
bookmark the product page of Amazon.com site and return later;
or choose to do nothing

But if he/she buy anything within 24 hours and bypassing the affiliate link.
the affiliate will not get any commission.
This is what I understand from the terms.

247malls
12-12-2001, 03:10 PM
OFFICEMAX.COM for example does not pay commission, if a coupon code is used.

Also BLUEFLY.com only pays on authorized coupons.
Same for SPIEGEL.com

If I can think of some more, I will post it.

joma
12-12-2001, 05:47 PM
Vrindavan, what the terms say to me is that the commission WILL be paid for items placed in the cart within 24 hours unless the visitor re-enters through another affiliate's link (which I think is what they mean by a "Special Link"). That's fair enough, because in that case the most recent referrer would get the credit.

I seem to recall reading on Amazon's board that wishlist items are eligible for commissions, but it's based on whether the actual buyer followed an affiliate link, not the person creating the wishlist. I'm not 100% certain of that, but it seems logical.

Vrindavan
12-12-2001, 10:42 PM
Joma
You seems to be right.
But the term is still not very clear on that.

------------------------------------------------------
must click-through a Special Link from your site to our site, and add the Product to his or her shopping cart during a session
------------------------------------------------------

joma
12-12-2001, 11:38 PM
I think the problem is their use of the word "session".

Most people wouldn't call bookmarking a site and returning the next day a single session, but that seems to be the way Amazon defines it.

amily123
08-09-2013, 03:14 AM
Can somebody provide me amazon coupons???

shopindexer
12-23-2013, 02:49 AM
Hi,
I am the affiliate program manager from Lovelywholesale. Our program is listed on shareasale.

I have several affiliate programs on hand and none of them have such policies. If the network(affiliate network such as shareasale) find out that the merchant don't pay commission the merchant will be excluded. So no one dare to cheat.

However, if the program is hosted on the merchant's website it is different because there will be no supervision. So be careful if you are going to join some self-hosted programs. Unless you are very familiar with the merchant don't join them.

And if you find any misundertakings with the program you joined from affiliate networks you can always report them to network.

rhashish44
01-14-2015, 04:37 AM
I find this wordpress-travel-affiliate-themes.com

hampersgermany
01-17-2015, 02:59 AM
Make the Christmas happy and smiling to your dear ones by delivering various kinds of presents. Send Christmas Gifts to Germany at affordable price through online shopping and express your best love and affection.

Marlena13
07-03-2015, 09:44 AM
great forum guys, really useful :)