PDA

View Full Version : eBay increases commish and cookie duration!

wly
12-05-2001, 05:29 AM
Effective December 10,

New Compensation Model:

Sale Payment: $.05 per bid - NEW!
Lead Payment: $5 per Active Registered User
Cookie Duration: 30 Days

Jack
12-05-2001, 07:07 AM
This is probably going to greatly drop revenues from eBay for most of us here. As I understand it, we only receive $.05 per bid in the 30 day period and the user must make their first bid within that 30 day period for the $5 to be paid (if they make a bid on the 31st day, no commission is paid). I would wager that many of the registrations sent to eBay never end up bidding at all. In any case, a change like this is necessary because I never could figure out how eBay could make a ROI on paying out $4 for any lead generated to their site. Was fun while it lasted though :)

Also, eBay is paying a 40% bonus for December revenues.

AK
12-05-2001, 07:09 AM
Lead Payment: $5 per Active Registered User I think Active is the keyword here.
You will now be paid USD 5 per user that registers through a link on your site and becomes active (places a bid on eBay) within 30 days of their initial registration.I'm not sure, but I don't think this was a requirement before the new commission structure - you'd get a commission when someone signed up, regardless if they placed a bid or not. When a merchant changes its payment terms, it rarely favors the affiliate (in my experience).

EDIT: I wrote this reply before I had read Jacks post. So... what he said!

joma
12-05-2001, 11:05 AM
I agree with the previous 2 posters. There are quite a few reasons to register besides having an immediate intention to bid on an item.

It's too bad eBay couldn't AT THE VERY LEAST track registered users and pay the bounty *whenever* the first bid is placed. I don't see any basis whatsoever for limiting it to 30 days: All the phony signups will obviously be careful to place a bid within that time period, but many legitimate leads will go unrewarded.

david11982
12-05-2001, 01:03 PM
That's a very good point, Joma.
For those people that are making phony registrations on eBay it is not very difficult to place a bid on an item to validate the registration. There are tens of thousands of items on eBay with reserves but no minimum starting bid. People can place bids that they know are well below the reserve price (sometimes the reserve price is posted, other times they can use common sense) and validate their registration. I think the percentage of fraudulent registrations will increase because of these new terms. By the way, does anyone know if there are similar terms for the half.com affiliate program (I believe half.com is an eBay company)?

jnestor
12-05-2001, 02:21 PM
On the other hand there are what millions of registered eBay users. If you send them someone who is already a registered user and they bid you get paid. I think that's pretty cool. I wonder if they'll allow you to link to specific auctions and get paid. Imagine if you're a sports site and you could link to an auction of a signed baseball and get paid for every bid ...

Jack
12-05-2001, 04:04 PM
By the way, does anyone know if there are similar terms for the half.com affiliate program (I believe half.com is an eBay company)?

Since Half.com already requires a purchase to be made to receive your commission, I would doubt there would be any changes to this program. The problem with the eBay program was that it paid for any user who signed up for free.

I wonder if they'll allow you to link to specific auctions and get paid. Imagine if you're a sports site and you could link to an auction of a signed baseball and get paid for every bid ...

eBay used to allow some deep linking within their site and turned it off (I believe it had something to do with tracking on their end). So I don't think they will allow linking to individual auction pages.

geekbooks
12-05-2001, 08:54 PM
The eBay program has been a consistent performer for me. Not huge, but usually enough to buy a bunch of happy meals each month.

It'll be interesting to see how the changes affect total commissions ...

Nintendo
12-05-2001, 09:06 PM
This change has lowered the number of leads for me.

Jack
12-05-2001, 09:08 PM
This change is not yet implemented so any change in leads should be just a coincidence. The change will be implemented on December 10.

geekbooks
12-05-2001, 09:19 PM
Hey, I just hit the 100 post mark ...

My leads are down too, but I attribute that to the seasonal nature of my contextual links (isn't that a mouthful). :)

If anyone happened to read my 1999 epic (cough) "complete guide to associate and affiliate programs on the net", you may find it interesting that the eBay program has been the most consistant performer on my D-I-Y Sheds and Barns pages.

Trivial information sure, but what's funny is that folks are registering on eBay in order to bid on shed and barn blueprints. Crazy, huh?

david11982
12-05-2001, 10:19 PM
I just don't think that the $.05 for each bid placed is going to come close to making up for the lost leads from people that register but never get around to bidding within the first 30 days.

geekbooks
12-06-2001, 08:57 AM
While only time will tell, only eBay (already) knows what kind of bid traffic they've been receiving from our links.

I still believe that the program has good potential--what we really need though, is the ability to drive traffic to specific auctions, blah blah blah ...

Imagine a newsletter publisher pushing traffic to specific auctions on a daily or weekly basis. Yow.

AK
01-07-2002, 03:19 PM
What kind of results are you seeing now that the changes have been in effect for about a month? According to the EPC trend graph at CJ, the difference between January and December is minimal (the average EPC is now approx $3.5 = $.035/click) and the EPC for November was only slightly better. In fact, it has been dropping exponentially since June (the first record) when it was about $13.

Anyway, I am planning to start a new site for the first time in 4 years, and links to eBay.com would fit very nicely into the site's concept (especially if they allow pre-filled search boxes or direct links, but I don't think they do). But if this is the kind of revenue everyone is getting, I won't bother.

geekbooks
01-07-2002, 09:39 PM
The numbers have held up for the d-i-y shed and barn pages on my site ( http://geekbooks.com ). The change in commission structure doesn't seem to have had any negative effect. Granted, it's not a big volume of traffic. :)

The pages in question are sending very qualified traffic. Folks are primed to find what they're looking for (shed and barn plans) ... so the registration/bid numbers are good. The 5 cents per bid doesn't add up to much--but it's cool to know that folks really are bidding.