PDA

View Full Version : BeFree bounced checks

wly
12-03-2001, 05:02 AM
I was surprised when my bank notified me today that checks from Goto.com and Kiss.com have been returned. The reason given was that "Refer to Maker". What does this mean and why did check from such a reputable company bounce? It was surprising that there were no notice whatsoever from Befree. And worst thing is that my bank is going to charge me an additional of $20, ouch. Anyone also experience this? Who should I contact, the merchants or Befree? If Befree what is the e-mail address that I can use?

clay
12-03-2001, 05:39 AM
are you sure it bounced? They may have stopped payment for some reason.

trabaho
12-03-2001, 08:18 AM
Hi Wly, thats strange never happened to me before, what bank are you using? Try ABN-AMRO (low maintaning balance) or Citibank, ABN AMRO told me they don't charge for cashing in checks. Stay away from metrobank, unionbank (Phil) and other local banks.

jtx
12-03-2001, 09:33 AM
Here is a pretty long thread discussing this problem:
http://www.revenews.com/opinion/discuss.cgi?mode=MSG&area=warstories&message=1291.

david11982
12-03-2001, 10:55 AM
I believe there was also another long thread about this on another forum (I can't remember which one). I guess BeFree just switched to a new account after they had mailed out some checks with the old account number. I think they said in an email that people can now redeposit their checks. You should probably contact BeFree for an explanation of the GoTo and Kiss.com thing. I'm sure someone in here knows the email address to use.

LastActionHero
12-03-2001, 01:38 PM
This thread (http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14299) might provide some more information.

Sedesrem
12-06-2001, 10:58 AM
:mad: Everything was okay with those checks I got from Goto. As far as I remember they all were issued by Goto, not Befree (q1, q2 checks this year). Do you guys have a delay with payments for Q3? Did anything changed there? Just have no idea. :p