PDA

View Full Version : The new bbs is much slower than before....

Tom Chow
07-22-2001, 12:18 AM
Anybody feel the same?

Czar
07-22-2001, 12:23 AM
It's responding and searching much faster for me - as it should being driven by mySQL.

Delays could be caused by the retrieval of advertising graphics, though this should not be any greater a delay than what was experienced under UBB.

In any case, this issue is better suited to the "Technical Questions" forum. Redirecting...

LastActionHero
07-22-2001, 12:31 AM
This board is definetly faster for me than the previous UBB board. PHP+MySQL=Super speeds :)

Ted S
07-22-2001, 12:33 AM
Regardless of what the backend is, where the server is this site is running much, much faster. I remember waiting 2 or 3 minutes during peak times to load the index page, now its as fast an html site.

You may be experiecing isp connection problems to the new server?

sdarken
07-22-2001, 12:47 AM
It is not working any slower for me either though I am on a fast internet connection (DSL) so larger pages or more graphics would probably not impact me too much.

<Off Topic> Since I mentioned my internet connection, I am curious, Czar, what sort of internet connection do you have? Does the average Australian have access to any form of high speed connections yet? (eg: DSL or cable modem)</Off Topic>

zMan
07-22-2001, 12:51 AM
Indeed, the new forums are loading much smoother! :p

Czar mentioned he is on dail-up in another thread earlier today. Ehehe, sorry Josh for buttin' in. :D

Jan
07-22-2001, 12:56 AM
Reply to off topic :)

The average Australian cannot afford DSL or Cable as yet. And the areas of availability are limited. But no doubt in time it will become more affordable to the average Aussie.

Maybe it isn't yet on the Gold Coast or Czar would have it :D

Czar
07-22-2001, 01:17 AM
<still off-topic>

Cable's available on the Gold Coast, and in most major Australian cities through BigPond Advance and Optus@Home, but neither service reaches the units where I live, since I'm more-or-less on the outskirts of the city. Bummer. :(

DSL, ADSL and satellite are rolling out here, but they've been met with a lukewarm reception. Probably because of the cost issue, as Jan suggested. It's just not worth it for most residential users, unless when bundled with cable TV, discounted phone services or something along those lines.

We didn't experience the net boom to the extent of you Americans, which meant we didn't see seriously competitive price cutting, promises of free DSL or anything like that. The positive effect of this is that our tech sector is healthier than most. The negative is that there's little incentive for users to experiment with broadband at home, or in the small office.

</>

Steve_S
07-22-2001, 01:39 AM
YIKES GEEKS

calm down :) It's only the internet.

Tom:

1) Visit our poll on this issue at http://66.33.83.213/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=142

2) Your location?

3) Run a tracert and post please

4) Does your issue appear on a regular basis over a period of 7 days or did it just start ?

5) Visit The Member Control Panel and carefully examine numerous options to speed up the BB. Like turn off avaitars, sigs, shorten threads to 5 etc. ALL you geeks can do this if you need to. It's a fantastic set of features. A remarkable piece of code.

In my prior life I was a technical writer. Parts of this BB run at least 1000% faster. I timed it over a period of no less than 7 days with different connections from 3 different ISPs running UBB side by side against vB on the same box.

Other parts are about the same and the majority of gut thoughts are that the BB is faster. It certainly screams speed and is much faster for me and I'm on it about 10 hours per day so I would notice glitches long before the population of Geeks would. This does not mean that certain members don't experience a slow BB. That can NEVER be avoided given the nature of the Net.

HTH and good luck :)

da_geek
07-22-2001, 08:27 AM
nice to see geektalk on a vb platform, although I think the design needs some urget attention :(

looks very 'thrown together', colour are not too nice to look at and the post imahes dont match... at all :(

Steve_S
07-23-2001, 12:07 AM
Hi da_geek

Please carefully read our complete Posting Guide at http://www.geekvillage.com/posting_guide_for_bb.htm

Your post lacks details and I need lots of them. Item 6 please in the above referenced document. Please consider this the only warning you will recieve.

Also, it would help me if you could point me to your own vB or another one which looks satisfactory to you.

>although I think the design needs some urget attention .

details where and what?

>looks very 'thrown together'

where and what?

>colour are not too nice to look at and the post imahes dont match

examples and exact details. Restate this as part of it I don't understand.

Thank you.

jemma
07-23-2001, 12:44 AM
This BB has been pretty speedy for me. I'm on a dial-up connection (that often has a lot of noise), and so far, even my old computer performs better on VB compared with UBB. This improved performance is appreciated. :)

re: da_geek's "post images don't match"

This has probably already been mentioned elsewhere on the BB, but I did notice that the subject icons of most old posts have been replaced by a purple sad smiley.

Jemma

SSacobie
07-23-2001, 12:54 AM
It's loading a lot slower for me, but that's probably because of all the graphics. Overall, it's not that bad, though.

Steve_S
07-23-2001, 01:50 AM
Hello SSacobie,

1) Visit our poll on this issue at http://66.33.83.213/forums/showthre...s=&threadid=142

2) Your location?

3) Run a tracert and post please

4) Does your issue appear on a regular basis over a period of 7 days or did it just start ?

5) Visit The Member Control Panel and carefully examine numerous options to speed up the BB. Like turn off avaitars, sigs, shorten threads to 5 etc. ALL you geeks can do this if you need to. It's a fantastic set of features. A remarkable piece of code.

6) Dial up or broadband?

If dial up try another access number

HTH

Jan
07-23-2001, 02:31 AM
I have seen HTH in a lot of posts - I thought if I waited long enough it would be self explanatory.

But I still don't know........help! (Please)

:confused:

da_geek
07-23-2001, 04:04 AM
Hi Steve_s , my board can be seen here, and its very satisfactory to me + my 40000 site members (only 5500 board registered):

http://www.e-tones.co.uk/forums

Secondly, Which part of my post didnt you understand? I thought it was prettly self explanitory.. this bb neeeeeeds work doing to it :)

Maybe you should apply the old colour scheme here, the brown bg color is just yukky, maybe you should try a pale (VERY pale) pantone of dark green. As it stands, nothing seems to be coherant in this design.

Also., blue links aren't the best things to look at. Did you know html allows you to change the colour of these :) hehe, just kiddin.
But i think you could try using a shade of blue that detracts from the current blue used (default link blue), looks common and as if no thought has gone into it what so ever. Possibly put the images back, why were thy removed? Im sure bandwidth isnt a problem, you dont have 100's of people here at ones (usually 10-30)

In the header, which are you trying to align, the banner and logo or the logo and user links (member, search etc) looks very disjointed, id look into how you can reposition the links to be aleary, better vusally appealing and a better fit. Your forum rules may be the cause of the bad eye candy, try putting it in its own table of 100% width with a different bg color, so you can a) See it instantly (currently you dont) and secondly, b) it easily splits itself away from the main page content. The one in the footer seems ok.

Try looking at www.dbforums.com , for some reasons it looks like you're trying on a few bits of there design, anyhowm dont get where a get it from, be it my board, dbforums or many others, get this place looking good!

OH OH... and this is a major niggle, you removed the new post icon that appears at the botton of each thread unless it has been read... unless i've missed it (brings the question why did u move it?) why would you want to remove it?!? This is one of vbs great features. Get it back, ASAP :)

ok steve, that ok for you?! enought for u to read... ???

Steve_S
07-23-2001, 04:33 AM
da_geek, Much better. Thanks for your thoughts and ideas. The marvelous thing about vB is that each of as site owners are free to design as we see fit. The final judge is never you or me :) It's the Community and if they really no like it then they won't return. Thats fine with me as the notion that you can please everyone is folly and should never be attempted.

I won't be implimenting any of your ideas as per this document: http://66.33.83.213/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140 and their won't be anything done around here of a design/UI nature on an "ASAP" basis.

Visit our FAQ at http://66.33.83.213/forums/misc.php?s=&action=faq for most of the icon legend. It speeds the BB up by moving the absolute clutter and yuk of what a default looks like. Also, you can then place your banners closer to the content and they pay the bills around here :)

When I do open for additional styles it would be great if you would volunteer to participate in this procedure. I like your design. Again, this is clearly documented in the above reference FAQ and their won't be any changes in that time line.

I may let the members vote on the designs and then they can argue with each other :) Best of luck and thanks for the input.

da_geek
07-23-2001, 04:38 AM
thats fine, cheers for the reply.

Although not to be a git, i think many of the members could use a different bg color ;)

Ceeya later all.

da_geek
07-23-2001, 04:43 AM
ah.. quick reply again, you say you want the banners closer to the content.

look here: http://www.e-tones.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10770

i placed my banners directly over the content, after all navigation aids, so that is a user wants to read the content or move to another section of the forum, they have to move over the be banners,

Image wise, I dont think downloading the images is a huge problem, after the first visit the images a cached and do add a LOT to the geek talk experiance :)

right, thats my 2 cents, im use you'll have atleast $1 worth before im done nagging :)

Susan
07-23-2001, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Jan
I have seen HTH in a lot of posts - I thought if I waited long enough it would be self explanatory.

But I still don't know........help! (Please)

:confused:

HTH=Hope this helps :)

Steve_S
07-23-2001, 09:47 AM
Hi everyone,

I want you to have fun and enjoy our new BB. I'm respectfull of your rights to do this and hope you are enjoying things.

Having said that, this thread is moving in about a zillion differeent directions with a zillon topics inside the same thread.

I'm locking it so please start new threads on your new issues in the appropriate Forum. Good luck and have fun :)