Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2005, 08:44 AM   #1
ApplePro

Default Movies screenshots and copyright

I have a question about movies screenshots. Is this possible to post screenshots (screen captures) from DVDs on the movie website for free?

If not, is this possible to use them not for free? Do I need some kind of licenses?
ApplePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:52 PM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

You'll need to see an IP attorney about this for actual advice, but my non-qualified opinion is as follows:

1. If you were a film student or critic looking to highlight particular frames that were being referred to within your not-for-profit review, you'd be covered under fair use.

2. If the movie was no longer protected by copyright (like most silent films and early talkies), you'd be fine.

3. If you wanted to accompany your commercial review with some illustrative screenshots, you'd be venturing into a grey area but you may be able to argue fair use if challenged.

4. If you were simply pulling screenshots and posting them within a commercial screenshot gallery, on a 'celeb babes' site or incorporating them into wallpapers and screensavers that you distribute from a commercial site, you'd be in trouble unless you obtain permission.

In short, in my uninformed opinion, you'd be safest to request written permission from a studio publicist before using screenshots within any commercial context.

Hope this helps.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:13 PM   #3
ApplePro

Quote:
3. If you wanted to accompany your commercial review with some illustrative screenshots, you'd be venturing into a grey area but you may be able to argue fair use if challenged.
Do you mean if my website will be with the links to Amazon's shop (for example), that will be ok to use the screenshots?

Quote:
you'd be safest to request written permission from a studio publicist before using screenshots within any commercial context
They aren't answer on such emails.
ApplePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:52 PM   #4
DougM

One of the reasons I remain an Amazon affiliate is just this. I can display images of books and movies discussed on my site. Not always the images I wished for, but not bad. It doesn't hurt that visitors can then purchase these items as well but Amazon's terms are less than ideal so I don't make a killing here. I look at it as more of service to visitors than advertising.
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 01:02 AM   #5
coolbuddy

I m no expert but it seems that if u give 30-40 seconds clipping then u can get away with it as the producers loves free advertising and if that doesnt hurt their actual product.Infact all tv channels keep on showing the same clippings of each new movie released.I m sure they r distributed by the film guys themselves to get free miliage from the media.
coolbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:11 AM   #6
Czar

Webmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by coolbuddy
Infact all tv channels keep on showing the same clippings of each new movie released.I m sure they r distributed by the film guys themselves to get free miliage from the media.
Of course they are. Teasers and trailers are one of the most important assets that film publicists and distributors have up their sleeves in order to get traffic into the multiplexes. They love having these shown in the right context and they do readily offer them to TV stations and other media at no cost. An indie publisher still needs permission in order to distribute and/or creative derivative works from these, however.

Similarly, while trailers are often dished out far and wide, that doesn't imply that publishers may grab any 30-second block of their choosing from a film and distribute that from their websites. Trailers serve a very specific purpose and are very carefully crafted for use as promotional items. Giving away clips of key scenes doesn't necessarily work in the best interests of those who are invested in the film.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote