Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2001, 03:22 PM   #1
pete57

Default Setting up an online store..

Hello everyone,

I have a few tennis websites that have been doing great and I took many photos this summer in tournaments that I would like to sell on a store. I know a few companies offer these types of services but someone may know which one is the best for me

1-First of course, I need a cutosmizable store that can offer me a chance to place a few hundred items..

2-Also, I would really like if I had nothing to do with the actual payment of the items, if the company could process the transactions and give me the amount minus their commission

3-0$ startup fees would be the best..if that's not possible, as low as possible

4-Possibility to set up a pay-per-sale affiliate program

I tried Verza.com but it's not that good from my experience, mostly because users are brought out of your site before the transaction and are presented with this new copany they don't know

It would be best if the users had the impression they were dealing with me all the way and that there simply is a tier party to process the transactions...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Pierre Cantin
pete57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 08:44 AM   #2
pete57

anyone ?
Old 10-04-2001, 09:56 AM   #3
Czar

Webmaster

Two service solutions along these lines immediately spring to mind, but I have little personal experience with either. These are:

1. ClickBank
2. Revecom

Fortunately, I'm aware that there are a few geeks who are active clients of each of these firms, so hopefully they'll pipe in with a few suggestions as to how best to minimise your overheads and maximise the outsourcing of the messier elements such as establishing a shopping cart, merchant account and processing gateway when using these or other ASPs.

Until then, feel free to investigate the above services independently to gauge whether or not you consider them an appropriate match for your needs.

HTH.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 10:10 AM   #4

You can always launch a Yahoo! Store

http://store.yahoo.com

They offer a free 10-day trial

and then launch your affiliate program at Commission Junction.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 03:31 AM   #5
Trommsdorff

I use bigstep.com.
Trommsdorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 09:38 AM   #6
WildComputer

I started building a site about building stores at www.merchantkit.com

Here is what I know on the specifics of answering your question

with ClickBank
1. Yes but you need your own web site as well. ClickBank just deals with the payment. There is a max of 50 or 99 items per account, I can't remember whether it's 50 or 99. You can do more than this with one account by using the CGI passing stuff they document on their site, but this is non-trivial unless you are a CGI expert. All products have to be delivered over the Internet. Downloads, via email, as passwords, web pages etc.
2. Yes
3. I think it's $49.95
4. Yes

I am not 100% certain about Verza and Verotel (they are related or own by the same company). I know Verotel can do recurring billing and is mostly used for membership sites in my experience. Again I think you do need you own web site. Pretty sure ateast Verotel has an affiliate option

There is also CCNow

There is also ProPay, but I don't know for sure if this would be enough for a store. I think there is or was a free setup option
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 10:46 AM   #7
pete57

Thanks guys for your help..I'll continue going through these programs..however clickbank is not possible as an option since it requires to be a USA based company to set up a marchant account where you sell non-internet based services..

Also, I really have no problem with building the website, it's more about the transactions..

Wildcomputer, I'll check out your page..thanks
Old 10-06-2001, 05:49 AM   #8
Skystar
Member.

Pete - Want THE best deal on the Internet? It's www.apc.net Not only is it the most powerful, including a foolproof wysiwyg site set up, but includes all you'll ever need to manage it. It figures out your shipping charges & taxes, and can track & access your customer and buyer activity 5 different ways. The best part of all is their 100% dedication to helping people, and I mean _helping_, 24/7. I have set up several online stores, (including Samsung's first mall), and apc.net is the best _by far_.
Skystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 09:12 AM   #9
pixieworld

apc.net seems fine, but once again it only accepts US merchants.
pixieworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 10:55 AM   #10
pixieworld

I've just found this site, take a look:
http://www.merchant-accounts.ca/

Does anyone know this company?
pixieworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 11:19 AM   #11
cybmike

pete a little off topic but do you still run that affilate program on clickxchange? The banner image is broken. Its so hard to find sponsers for celeb sites, and It was nice to promote yours.
cybmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 12:47 PM   #12
pete57

Just checked out merchant-accounts.ca and to be honest the 500$ set up cost is just too much given the fact that I don't know what ot expect from such a service..

Cybmike, wow I had noticed the banner was offline... I just repaired that, thanks for the notice..yes I am still running the program on a smaller run though right now since as you know revenue is also down for celeb sites
Old 10-06-2001, 08:48 PM   #13
Skystar
Member.

Not only does www.merchant-account.ca charge a $500 set up fee, (way out of line), but they're in Canada. I learned my lesson the hard way to_never_ do business with anyone out of the country. If you have a problem - too bad - you can't sue them, or even threaten to sue them.
Skystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 07:45 AM   #14
gunnar

Skystar,
since Pete is a Canadian resident himself merchant-account.ca may be a good choice for him.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 11:23 AM   #15
pete57

Yes, good point but I would not pay 500$ to use a program I have never heard feeback on...