Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2004, 09:38 AM   #1
jefferey

Default Problems getting paid by TMP and Peel.com?

Has anyone else experienced payment problems with Peel.com and trafficmp.com?

After delivered pop ads for several months for both of these companies, and being owed over $15,000 by each, they seem to have disappeared. Peel.com was initially responding to our requests with the usual "payment is on the way, should be there tomorrow" routine, but now simply doesn't respond to our emails. At TMP, our initial representative quit and left us with another person who simply does not respond to our inquiries.

In both cases, no payments have been made, they no longer respond to emails, etc..

I'm curious as to whether anyone else has experienced these problems from two seemingly credible entities.

Thanks!
jefferey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 03:35 PM   #2
pointsi

Peel offered me a decent rate for pops, but when it came to payment terms and methods, there seemed to be something a little wrong with their approach. I politely brought up the fact that I had read on several webmaster message boards about publishers having difficulties receiving payment from them. Instead of reassurance, their emails immediately became very defensive and unprofessional.

This is not the type of response I expect from a "credible" company.
pointsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 08:32 PM   #3
Eric M

From my own experience it appears that Peel Network is made up of one or two individuals who don't answer their email very often. I would try looking up their phone number and giving them a call.
Eric M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 08:44 PM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

While Peel has suffered a bevy of criticism during its lifespan, TrafficMP is a reputable and well established service. Giving your rep a quick phone call should clear things up immediately.

Best of luck.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 09:09 PM   #5
fireklown

When I used Peel I had nothing but problems getting paid. I did get paid 3 times (but it took forever), but never got paid for the last 2 payments. also I got a few VERY unprofessional. As far as they go, it might be a struggle to actually see some cash. But on the TMPexpress side, might want to just give them a call, could be a simple mixup because they are very will respected, and I knew few people who have ever had any problems with then
fireklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 08:49 AM   #6
coolbuddy

u will never get paid thr peel.
coolbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:13 AM   #7
Strafe

I agree on the idea of calling them. Its always the best way to settle things at once. You deserve to get paid that big amount.
Strafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 07:26 PM   #8
Jokerman

With all the sharp lawyers you guys have in the US and the sheer scale of fraudulent practices among ad networks, it amazes me that a law firm/credit collection agency doesn't begin to specialize in recovery of monies owed and of monies defrauded by stat-fiddling firms in this area.
Jokerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 07:31 PM   #9
Jokerman

Hmmm...sorry to double post, and stray off topic.

Maybe webmasters should consider forming a federation, whereby they pay a fee for annual membership and in return the federation organizes contacts with lawyers / CCA to recover funds as part of it's service. There are, of course, a vast range of other services which could be offered. Maybe that's an idea for the entrepreneurial owner of this web site, Steve.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:43 PM   #10
fireklown

Quote:
With all the sharp lawyers you guys have in the US and the sheer scale of fraudulent practices among ad networks, it amazes me that a law firm/credit collection agency doesn't begin to specialize in recovery of monies owed and of monies defrauded by stat-fiddling firms in this area.
I've actually tried this and failed everytime. I went through 3 different lawyers trying to get over $8000 owed to me at one time. Not a single one would touch it, they all said since the agency was out of state, it would take more time and efort and cost more money then I was owed to even bother.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:10 PM   #11
Jokerman

I'm in the UK. It's very easy to recover money owed here. If it's more than 250, it's worth your while pursuing it through the small claims courts. Court judgments severely affect a company's credit rating over here. Plus, they are enforceable by court bailiffs (with the defendant paying all recovery expenses on top of the amount awarded by the court).

But it seems to me that Ad Networks are a breed apart. A publisher has to rely on their honesty in his/her dealings with them. Too many networks have/are taking blatant advantage of this reliance to defraud publishers, that such reliance can hardly be justified anymore. Good faith, alas, is a blind fool's faith in this game. It's clear that we need a mechanism to shift the balance in favor of the publisher - or even just to ensure (not insure <wink>) a level playing field. The question is: how is this to be done?

Well, it's not to be done by individual publishers, that's for sure. Ad Networks see each publisher as easily disposable. This is the same attitude that early American industry had before unions were formed to protect the interests of the workers. No-one can deny that there is power in numbers. Thus, some version of this is needed here.

A 'federation' could work for the interests of webmasters. It could lobby for relevant legislation. It could seek favorable deals for members. It could build an inter-state debt recovery network. It could 'approve' and 'blacklist' networks. It could offer a conflict resolution service between publisher and network. It could push for greater transparency and monitoring. It could do so much, and so much needs to be done.

Remember, we're talking about 100s of millions of dollars here. Anything which consolidated webmaster's interests is surely a good thing.

<steps off his soapbox>

Last edited by Jokerman; 05-14-2004 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:32 PM   #12
fireklown

In the US it's a lot more complicated with the billions of judicial jurisdictions. If your in the same state filing a claim is a lot easier, however even that is very costly. But when they are out of state it becomes very difficult. And there are all sorts of things that have to be met in order to even go to court. Just saying so and so owes me money isn't going to do it. And if you have to go to a Fedral court it can take many years before something actually gets done.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:49 PM   #13
Jokerman

Well, I'm glad I don't trade in the US then. It must be a nightmare giving customers credit over there.

Still, as the Irish say: "Walk softly, but carry a big stick."
Old 05-19-2004, 02:59 AM   #14
Owen

Actually, small claims court here is similar to that in the UK. You can file a small claims suit against almost anyone within your hometown, regardless of the location of the business you are suing. I think it's allowed up to a max of something like $4000. If you want to file a regular lawsuit, it's more complicated.

Owen

Last edited by Owen; 05-19-2004 at 03:00 AM.
Owen is offline   Reply With Quote