Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2000, 10:56 PM   #1
Arn

Unhappy CJ's new Member Area - don't fix what ain't broke

What were they thinking?

I just logged in... and I will say - perhaps I need to spend more time on it - but my initial reaction is that it's taking many steps backwards.

1) Waste of time.

a) The new merchant programs... I have to click on each one to find out their pay rate and what their site is about?

b) Get Links.... I have to filter through ALL merchants to find links for the ones I joined?.... There is a reason I joined those particular merchants.... if I wanted to find NEW merchants I would do so.

2) Consolidated websites?

One of the big advantages for CJ before was that I could manage my website individually.... I just joined a program and I couldn't specify which website.... maybe I'm missing something - but some of my websites aren't appropriate for certain merchants and vice-versa. I don't want to get not accepted with a merchant when I wasn't going to use them on a particular site.

Am I going to have to create multiple logins? (translation: waste more time).

arn

------------------
http://www.weeno.com - Learn Stuff You Don't Know
Promote Your Site - write an article, get new/interested visitors.
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2000, 12:04 AM   #2
emailer

Smile

I somehow saw and used the new member area Saturday. Seeing it again today leaves me with the same thought; the changes make things a whole lot more inconvenient for affiliates.

Also, I have no stats for June 3rd on.

A suggestion. Use the settings tool and eliminate the intro heading.

[This message has been edited by emailer (edited 06-05-2000).]
emailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2000, 12:24 AM   #3
WildComputer

Unhappy

I just took my first (very quick) look around the new merchant and affiliate areas.

Has good and bad pts

Main Good pt:
A lot of powerful features/reports especially for larger sites (i.e. managed by many). I can imagine this version works much better if you have a bunch of people working on your site.

Main Bad pt (?):
I can't find the Account Activity Summary report (both the merchant and affiliate versions). In my opinion this was the single most useful feature in CJ5 as it had nearly all the key info on one page. Anybody found it?

------------------
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2000, 12:30 AM   #4
Arn

Unhappy

I'm curious how much user-interface thought went into it... another thing I don't like is the way all the links are organized by link type.

Banner 480x60
Text Link

etc...

You have to click on each one to see the content. I guess this is ok... but it seems like a lot more work.... in the old system, all the links were shown on one page. I liked looking over all the links and picking the one I liked.

It seems like a theme...

New merchants - click on each one to see details. On the old system, 5-6 merchants were shown on one page - with all relevant details. At a glance, I could see if I liked any of 'em or not.

Get Links - apparently, you can just choose your partners - but they're listed alphabetically with alphabet links. So, you go into it.... and you see 2-3 merchants under "A" - so you have to go to "B" to see 1-2 more. Then C etc... potentially 26 times to see all the merchants. I don't know about youi - but I don't usually look alphabetically. At the very least, they could have a "ALL" tab to view all at once.

arn

------------------
http://www.weeno.com - Learn Stuff You Don't Know
Promote Your Site - write an article, get new/interested visitors.
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2000, 04:48 AM   #5
JP Sauve
Member.

Unhappy

I'm afraid I'm not that fond of it either.

I too don't like the way the new sponsor links are displayed, having to check each one individually.

Not to mention their reports are formatted wider than my screen.

Of course it's natural for anyone to resist change.

------------------
JP Sauve
ScoreLarge.com - free stuff and bladder busting humor
JP Sauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2000, 07:04 AM   #6
WildComputer

Unhappy

Just looked at it in more detail.

Merchants - Changes

They have a couple of powerful new features - merchants can offer affiliates incentive of bonus payments by groups they setup themselves, or by raising the rate if they get X number of leads/sales per month or whatever. Very good feature.

The changes on the merchant side seem on the whole very good.

They have also (I think) copied the program text over from the branded sign-up page to the confirmation e-mails. This is good as it should eliminate those e-mails which say something like "Welcome to program X at CJ you are now part of a network of sites with opportunities to earn...". I need to rewrite my letter anyway (I had a really dumb one before), but I think what they did here is good.

Merchants - Not changed

My only disappointment is that the things they didn't change/improve. Maybe they will do it for the next version. I think they should consider adding:
i. A visible uniqueness % for each affiliate. I don't really need this, but those merchants who are using CPC models probably would.
ii. Country of affiliate displayed on the front page without viewing the affiliate detail
iii. A quick way to reject a bunch of affiliates you don't want. They already have a quick way to approve a bunch.

Merchants - Bugs (?)

It says I have X number of approved affiliates. It also says I have X number of active affiliates. I don't think this is right (?) or maybe I'm misunderstanding this.

Affiliate Area Changes

Didn't look at this in as much detail, and will defer to you guys' judgement.

The Account Activity Summary page they had before was great they should bring that back.

I think that can see where they're trying to go - which is to allow affiliates to integrate individual products into their site, more or less regardless of the merchant.

I do wonder if this is shooting too high/complicated for most affiliates, and if it can truly work well given the wide variation in merchants.

I also think I can see WHY they might do this. CJ's big strength is Integration and they want to play to this strength when trying to win contracts with the really big merchants.
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2000, 10:27 AM   #7
Flicker

Red face

Now the members area keeps crashing up on me.

I'm sure that's NOT supposed to be a new feature... http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Flicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2000, 12:31 AM   #8
webstuff4free

Exclamation

Hi there

I have just looked at my stats and the
Commission earned for this month shows a couple of hundred dollars more than all my sites renenue adds up to.

Anyone else getting strange reports.

Regards
Jason Barnham

------------------
We know where webmaster's get it for FREE!

http://www.webstuff4free.com

Classic American Car fans - http://www.carsandstripes.com
webstuff4free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2000, 01:37 AM   #9
stationradio

Unhappy

I've been trying to set up a merchant agreement through CJ. I keep running into bugs.

It also shows I have 5 affiliates even though I havent started yet!

---------------
www.stationradio.com

add a radio to your site with one line of code

stationradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2000, 09:14 AM   #10
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by webstuff4free:
Hi there

I have just looked at my stats and the
Commission earned for this month shows a couple of hundred dollars more than all my sites renenue adds up to.

Anyone else getting strange reports.

Regards
Jason Barnham

same here, just logged in and saw that i have earned US$67 but then my balance is only US$1.77 since i removed all CJ links from my site http://geekvillage.com/ubb/confused.gif

well i have to say the new CJ is a disappointment - worse of all the site speed is still very slow.... i get security and time out errors while trying to navigate through the CJ member's area..

i gave up looking at the rest of the site cause it keep timing out ... maybe it's my end ?

------------------
Evangelion in the 21st century
Eva2000.com
Australian Star Wars Prequels
ThePrequels.net
Anime2001 Network
Anime2001.com
Coming soon...
TheDesktopThemes.com Wallpapers
singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2000, 10:24 AM   #11
gallery

Unhappy

same kind of problems. Furthermore my most important per click sponsor does no longer appear in the stats !! It seems that no clicks are counted.

------------------
www.pics4fun.com : a huge collection of funny pictures, cartoons and comics.
www.cartoons4fun.com : funny cartoons based on humor puns.
gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2000, 10:55 AM   #12
JP Sauve
Member.

Unhappy

I've had more time to surf CJ, try to get a feel for it. It's still a BIG thumbs down from me, at least for the affiliate part of it.

By the way, if anyone wants to avoid the problem of running CJ links for programs that are having stats tabulation problems, sign up and read my newsletter ScoreLarge...

I advertised NetSetter... it went down
Money4Mail.... down too after I feature it.
BigPrizes... down and not giving credit for missed leads

and today (drum roll please...)

BestRateNow! Down as of 10AM today, ScoreLarge featured it at 9AM... groan! http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif

Stay away from the links I advertise and you should be safe.

------------------
JP Sauve
ScoreLarge.com - free stuff and bladder busting humor

[This message has been edited by suave (edited 06-06-2000).]
JP Sauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2000, 11:22 PM   #13
emailer

Smile

A few other changes that I noticed today but didn't see posted here.

The affiliate discussion board is gone.

You cannot sort merchants by type of program such as sale, lead or click. This is useful if you don't look at sale programs.

Some stats on your individual merchants are
not there, or at least I haven't found them.

Sorting earnings by merchant is gone, or at least I haven't been able to.

To update my prior post, my earning stats appear. CJ remains a top earner for me.

http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/s-mall/page2.html

[This message has been edited by emailer (edited 06-07-2000).]
emailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2000, 11:41 PM   #14
webstuff4free

Unhappy

It is also not as easy to select new programs. I used to like it when you clicked on new programs and they were listed with there respective buttons. I know all new programs are listed on the main page BUT they are only text links. Seeing graphical representation is much better.

What a compliacted mess they have created.

Cheers
Jason Barnham

------------------
We know where webmaster's get it for FREE!

http://www.webstuff4free.com

Classic American Car fans - http://www.carsandstripes.com
webstuff4free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2000, 12:08 AM   #15
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

the more i look at the new CJ, the more i don't like it .... i am near giving up on CJ since i don't earn that much from them anyway...

i have new sites starting up where i want to trial some Aussie affiliate programs...

------------------
Evangelion in the 21st century
Eva2000.com
Australian Star Wars Prequels
ThePrequels.net
Anime2001 Network
Anime2001.com
Coming soon...
TheDesktopThemes.com Wallpapers
singloon is offline   Reply With Quote