Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2001, 08:29 PM   #1
Ex

Question Looking for advertisement management script

I need help in looking for some ad management script. I'm currently using WebAdverts and its basically killing my CPU resources.

I'm looking for some ad management script similar to WebAdverts but use much less resources. Price range is hopefully in the cheap region.

I've heard of CentralAds, Adcycle, Advertpro, AdCenter2000. Any one using them or can anyone please recommend me one good one.
Hopefully, the script will be able to handle Burst!, Flycast, DoubleClick codes as well as direct advertisers. If possible, I'm planning to run this script over multiple sites and zones as well. I know I'm asking too much here, but well, it never hurt to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah forgotten about the traffic requirements..around 500,000 impressions daily for text links n other banner sizes

------------------
Ex
Anime Genesis dot Com - Anime Entertainment Channel

[This message has been edited by Ex (edited 02-22-2001).]
Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 09:04 PM   #2
singloon

GeekGuide

Cool

the php/mysql version of webaverts - well it's equivalent = www.dot-banner.com

supposedly able to handle 2million impressions/day on a P 233mhz cpu

------------------[*]Australian Neon Genesis Evangelion[*]film - writers - reviewers - reporters - designers[*]FanBuy.com indevelopment
singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 09:58 PM   #3
dbcooper

Unhappy

I've been using CentralAd Ver4 for well over a year now, it is great. I like it so much, I bought a second copy just to manage sponsors' buttons and give them access to reports without having to come through me.

However, support is non-existent. It sets up easily enough, but you'll have to look for help elsewhere (like here, as I am currently doing) if you can't figure something out from the online help files.

The only other negative is that it's licensed to the server and specific directory by a "key" -so make sure you've got it where you want it.
dbcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 09:06 AM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

I currently use AdCycle on Net-Ads (rolled out about a week ago), and have been very happy with its performance thus far.

For a free script, AdCycle is loaded with features. It uses MySQL, supports multiple campaigns and multiple banners/campaign (all of which can be scaled in order to control their frequency). It also supports rich-media code (such as that provided b Burst!, Flycast, etc). Campaigns can be limited by clicks, impressions or dates, and can be restricted to run only on certain parts (or pages) of your site, if required. Advanced options include limiting the number of paid banners/unique user, targeting by user domain and geotargeting.

At present, I'm only serving ads to one domain, and delivering approx 3000 banners/day. At this rate, AdCycle holds up extremely well. It may bog down at about 5-10 times that amount of traffic, but a Fast-CGI version is also available to serve heavier traffic.

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads - Webmaster Resource Center
iOnline Network
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 09:29 AM   #5
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

Mike from stangnet.com used adcycle on his site and forums and it ran his server's load up to 50+ - after i told him to removed it it went down below 1.5 - 2.0

i think he was serving 250,000 daily impressions on a dual p3 server

------------------[*]Australian Neon Genesis Evangelion[*]film - writers - reviewers - reporters - designers[*]FanBuy.com indevelopment
Old 02-22-2001, 10:02 AM   #6
suresk

Unhappy

I've been running AdCycle for about a month now, and I have been very pleased with it. I only run about 3,000 impressions on it, but it should easily handle more with no problem. I highly recommend it.

------------------
Spencer Uresk
spencer@uresk.net <A HREF="http://www.dailystarts.com" TARGET=_blank>
Daily Starts</A>
suresk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 10:05 AM   #7
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

I use CentralAd and concur with all the thoughts stated in this thread by dbcooper.

Memeber Edwin uses http://www.thruport.com/adjuggler/ and his last post on this issue indicates that he was very happy. I believe he delivers 2 million impressions per month accross his sites. This would definetly be my choice.

You arent likely to find a "cheapo" that has been used a lot and debuged for your requirements which are HUGE at 500,000 impressions daily.

Best of luck and HTH

------------------
Best regards,
Steve_S
Administrator/Owner/Webmaster/Tribal Chief
Read what our Members think of geek/talk.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 11:03 AM   #8
dbcooper

Unhappy

I'm running about 700,000 impressions per month on each CentralAd script. Both are on the same dedicated server (Sparc 10).

Let me add that you haven't lived until you've had a banner script start developing stress cracks and then go belly-up just when the traffic starts to get good. Been there, done that... and that's why I have CentralAd now. At the time, it was the top-of-the-line and the adult site webmasters said it was handling the load for them. I figured it would handle my travel site.
dbcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 10:37 PM   #9
Ex

Unhappy

Thanks guys...

I'm looking very close at AdCycle and dot-banner at the moment. CentralAd has a reputation for having no support. eeewww

Just want to know, I planning to run text links, 2 types of banner ads on all the sites I do, but the grand total impression of these ads alone on 2 of my most heavily hit site would range to around 250k impression a day. So I guess the current near free ads are not enough.

Just one more question, about dot-banner, they're being run in PHP, I can set it up on another server with PHP, but would it load on another site that don't have PHP?

Serving 2 million ads a day with no problem? Wow..that's hard to believe after knowing that PHP is one of the more resource taxing language than Perl. Is FastCGI better? Heard it was much better than C+ too.

Thanks for so much information.

------------------
Ex
Anime Genesis dot Com - Anime Entertainment Channel
Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 01:31 AM   #10
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

yes i believe dot-banner can server on other sites without php... and php is actually less server intensive than perl i believe - added if you install the zend optimiser on the linux server you get even more improvements - www.zend.com/optimiser/ sorry meant - http://www.zend.com/store/products/zend-optimizer.php

actually dot-banner just released v1.10 - i am waiting to for it to go up a few more versions and added fixes and functions before i try it http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by singloon (edited 02-23-2001).]