Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2001, 01:29 AM   #1
demae

Default Ways of getting cheap bandwidth

Let's share with each other what we know about how to get cheap bandwidth.

All companies listed here are reliable to the best of my knowledge. Also, they count bandwidth usage by actual usage, not 95 percentile (which tends to inflate the figures by a factor of 3).

APlusHosting.com: $20 gets you a 350 MB account with 20 GB of bandwidth. For non-multimedia sites, they may give you unlimited bandwidth in exchange for displaying their 88x31 button prominently on your page. I hosted AnimeWallpapers.com with them and paid only $20 per month for bandwidth until I grew above 150 GB of transfer, then they kicked me out for excessive CPU usage (at 150 GB per month, that's a lot of hits!).

ServerCentral.net: $235 per month for a virtual server (800 MB). Bandwidth is not monitored, but your web server cannot serve more than 40 simultaneous connections (they allow you to run thttpd on a high port though). AFAIK, AnimeWallpapers.com is still hosted here and was putting out 200 GB per month. So that's about $1 per GB.

There's also some hosts that look good, although I have no personal experience with them:

rackshack.net: $250 setup, $99 monthly for a dedicated cobalt RaQ4i (450 MHz AMD K-6 with 256 MB RAM, 20 GB hard drive) with 150 GB of bandwidth (extra bandwidth is $3.5 per GB). This is a great bandwidth deal, but if you have a really popular database driven site (maybe more than 3 million page views per month?) it may be too much for the RaQ.

colocation.efreeservers.com: $400 per month for 400 GB of bandwidth. No setup fee. Provide your own server. Extra bandwidth is $1 per GB.

freebsd.efreeservers.com: $300 per month for 200 GB of bandwidth. No setup fee. They provide a FreeBSD server (dual PIII 850MHz with 256 MB DRAM, dual 18 GB SCSI HD). Extra bandwidth is $1.5 per GB.
demae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 02:53 AM   #2
Kaiosama

Default Just for Multimedia

I was thinking of using a dedicated sdsl connection for just multimedia. The web pages could be hosted could be done in a real datacenter.

You could get t1 like bandwidth at around $300 dollars with sdsl. RADSL maybe better as far as webhosting goes. As you can choose your upload band to be higher then download band.

Update:
Here is a typical dsl pricing chart for business. I do not work for or have any business relation with this company:

http://www.business-dsl.com/bdsl_cost.html

Last edited by Kaiosama; 07-24-2001 at 02:56 AM.
Kaiosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 03:04 AM   #3
demae

A T1 is 1.5Mbps, so you could output a maximum of about 474 GB per month, although it would probably start to get sluggish at 70% usage (about 330 GB per month).

Let's compare this to buying two rackshack.net servers ($250 setup, $100 monthly for 150 GB). The price per GB you pay there is about the same.

Pros for using T1:

- no need to upload the multimedia files, since they're being served from your home computer

Cons:

- have to provide your own hardware
- data centers probably provide more reliability

Oh yeah, has anyone tried out EastCoastServers.com? They sell dedicated servers at a flat monthly rate (no bandwidth fees, although you are capped at 1.5Mbps according to their RAQ). You could get their puny 350MHz, 64 MB RAM, 4 GB disk server for $99 per month. Install thttpd on it, and it can serve static files no problem. I'm don't know about EastCoastServer's network reliability, though. They say that their network is "Fractional SMDS DS3 through Sprint reseller Deniz.com with connections to the NJ and Chicago NAPs". So, their network is not as robust as a good data center; it has a single point of failure.

Last edited by demae; 07-24-2001 at 03:06 AM.
Old 07-24-2001, 03:15 AM   #4
Kaiosama

Default Eastcoastserver= bad

I heard that eastcoast servers was based in the owners basement with him being the only guy overlooking the servers. According to a customer complaint at webhostingtalk.com the guy who ran eastcoastservers got into the hospital for several months and the servers weren't being watched at the time.

Hey demae...are you pmak1 at webhostingtalk.com? If so the then I guess you already know about that thread because that user started it.

Also I hear that things are going well at rackshack.net and they are upgrading everything including bandwidth. The 256 MB ram 4i's will become standard instead of the 128 MB ones and the bandwidth will be upgraded to 200 gb/month. This is all for $99 bucks a month...

Last edited by Kaiosama; 07-24-2001 at 03:17 AM.
Old 07-24-2001, 04:01 AM   #5
singloon

GeekGuide

yup pmak1 and demae are the same

as to bandwidth i looked at efreeservers.com colocation bandwidth 10,000GB/month for US$6999/mo

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 12:41 PM   #6
Kaiosama

Default Yepp

I also heard that it's per account and not per server. So you can have multiple servers using that 10,000 gigs!
Old 07-24-2001, 12:48 PM   #7
singloon

GeekGuide

Default Re: Yepp

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiosama
I also heard that it's per account and not per server. So you can have multiple servers using that 10,000 gigs!
yeah i heard the same

anyone got 40 spare servers lying around?

Old 07-24-2001, 01:06 PM   #8
Kaiosama

Default Thinking the same thing

I was wondering what we'd do with 10,000 gigs... Of course the geek/talkers that use tons of bandwidth may find this to be a good deal.
Old 07-24-2001, 01:43 PM   #9
demae

The problem with efreeservers.com though, is that you have to spend $300 minimum to get $1.5 per GB, and $400 + hardware to get $1 per GB.

It may not be practical for people with smaller sites.

I myself cringe at having to pay that much for hosting. I have access to two shared dedicated servers that other people pay for (Mike and Kaitou; in Mike's case, I perform system administration work in return for free use of the server and only have to pay for bandwidth overage fees; in Kaitou's case, I host AnimeLyrics.com on his machine since he's also a webmaster of AnimeLyrics.com). Other than that, I just pay $10 for Anime-Skins.com (tera-byte), $20 for AnimeInferno.com (APlusHosting), and $12 each for Everything-Anime.com and Ayanami.nu (APlusHosting; 60% discount for additional accounts).

So my total cost per month for hosting all these sites is just $54 and some system administration work.
Old 07-24-2001, 02:19 PM   #10
singloon

GeekGuide

wow 1/10th of my hosting costs

Ayanami.nu ? you own that too?

Old 07-24-2001, 02:25 PM   #11
demae

No, I don't own Ayanami.nu; I just host it.
Old 07-24-2001, 08:00 PM   #12
Ex

$54..that's also 1/10th of my hosting cost....I haven't looked at others...how reliable is efreeservers.com btw???

Did you notice this thread is posted by 99% anime webmaster?
Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 08:35 PM   #13
demae

Quote:
I heard that eastcoast servers was based in the owners basement with him being the only guy overlooking the servers. According to a customer complaint at webhostingtalk.com the guy who ran eastcoastservers got into the hospital for several months and the servers weren't being watched at the time.
That complaint was disputed by the owner of EastCoastServers.com later in the thread, so I'm not sure if it is actually true. Half of that thread was just people saying stock phrases such as "there is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth", which while technically true, does not mean that a company claiming to offer unlimited bandwidth is not a good deal.

If their reliability is good enough, then they may be a great deal, considering that you get 1.5Mbps for just $100 per month. Their network seems fast enough according to some pings I just did. If anyone tries them out, let us know your experiences.

> $54..that's also 1/10th of my hosting cost....

Well, I don't have a big website like Anime-Genesis.com.

> how reliable is efreeservers.com btw???

I have no first hand experience with them, but I've noticed them mentioned quite a bit on Webhostingtalk.com without hearing anything bad about them.

Their network (described on their website) looks like it has good redundancy.

> Did you notice this thread is posted by 99% anime webmaster?

Yeah. I guess it's because the graphical nature of our sites tends to demand a lot of bandwidth.
Old 07-24-2001, 09:15 PM   #14
gethosted

I vouch for servercentral.net, on their $85 plan I am using at least 100 gigs of transfer, if not 120. That's less than a dollar a gig, can't really beat that .
gethosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 12:50 PM   #15
notibrian

regarding cheap bandwidth ... i think tera-byte's plan 4 offers the cheapest bandwidth ... USD9(yearly fees)/month for 20GB!!! but of course thats for best option for a small or medium site only.

by the way, regarding efreeserver.com, i have a friend who just got his server and so far no complaint and he seems to be quite happy with it. i think efreeserver is one of the best place for cheap bandwidth and powerful server (P3 1ghz) ... however so far there is only one drawback .... 20 months contract

and another way of getting cheap bandwidth is to get a special deal from a web hosting webmaster ... my friend uses only 10-20% of what he paid for for his web hosting business and he is making good profit out of it ... so i am lucky that he offers me $1/gb for his unused bandwidth ... so if i used up 85% of what 4webspace offers, i will definitely move some downloadable files there hehehe
notibrian is offline   Reply With Quote