Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2001, 06:13 PM   #1
Kathy

Question SSL - Shopping Cart/ online store

We just moved to a dedicated server and I would like to replace my remote shopping card service (freemerchant which has become a paid service now....) with my own shopping cart and secured transaction pages.

I've looked at verisign and would like to know if ya'll can tell me if I would need a simple "secured" certificate with 128 or if I would need the commerce certificate (with 128)?

I can't tell the difference in the two. I take cc online but I don't process them online. I process them with my own merchant account and CC machine sitting on my desk. I just need to make sure the pages are encrypted adequately....

What is the difference between these two packages? (Besides the price) Would the "secure site pro" be the right thing for my server?

Thanks!

PS, I didn't know if this belonged in making money on the internet forum or webmaster issues....
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 07:23 PM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

A simple secure certificate should be fine if you intend to host just a form or two that asks for a user's credit card details.

Verisign are great, but if you're looking for a more affordable solution, you might find Thawte's services appealing. Thawte was acquired by Verisign last year, but still provide a more affordable 40-bit and 128-bit certificate. (I use Thawte's $125 SSL Certificate on the site's I design for clients, and have never experienced a problem with the product or Thawte's service).

Their products can be found here:
http://www.thawte.com/certs/server/contents.html

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads - Webmaster Resource Center
iOnline Network
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 03:56 AM   #3
Kathy

Unhappy

Thanks Czar! I just received email about Thwate's SSL and was told that the less expensive of the two certificates is STILL 128 bits but is made for US browsers. They suggested I stick with the standard (non-super cert) since I'm not doing business with non-english speaking customers.

My server "requires" 128 bit encryption. Do you think this would still work....to use the standard cert?

If so, this is a huge difference in price from verisign's and thwate (especially given that it is the same company now)

Thanks for the help!
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 06:51 AM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

I'm pretty sure that the simpler certificate will work for you, but don't quote me on that.

To be safe, you should check with your host (they should have had experience with these products previously), to see which is best suited to your individual situation.

The dramatic price difference accounts for why I've always used Thawte over Verisign. Maybe someone with more e-commerce experience than myself can point out reasons to justify Verisign's inflated prices, but for your purposes, Thawte is certainly the more economically-efficient option.

------------------
Czar
Net-Ads - Webmaster Resource Center
iOnline Network
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote