Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2001, 04:25 PM   #1
Kathy

Lightbulb Another solution...

Attempting to find a "better" solution for our webhost situation has driven me to get creative.

The needs of my website require a dedicated unix box with at least 256 RAM. It can't be cobalt...(VBulletin doesn't like it particularly)

And since dedicated boxes with particulars that I need are so expensive, I've found another solution I haven't heard much about. Purchasing a server box and colocating it.

Catalog.com has some great deals. Buy the box and co-locate it for 149.00 per month for 100GB of bandwidth transfer. No matter the size of the box...it is 149.00 per month. It comes with 4 IPs and the ability to purchase more for 1.00 each.

I'm putting the money together (actually fundraising through the website letting my members know abuot our needs) and plan on getting our own box SOON. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

The coolest thing is that the box is located nearby so if I ever wanted to go and "look" at our box...I could. This is amazing to me since most of my boxes would require me to drive 5 days to go view them.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 05:11 PM   #2
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

not trying to be too negative kathy, but have Catalog.com fixed there recent network problems ? my friend had 3 dedicated servers with them and were unhappy with the network performance and left.

Also have you asked about the hardware upgrade costs and turn around time if you need upgrades ?

------------------[*]Australian Neon Genesis Evangelion[*]film - writers - reviewers - reporters - designers[*]FanBuy.com indevelopment
singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 07:05 PM   #3
JDF000

Unhappy

I've been paying attention to catalog.com's network issues because I hope to eventually have a dedicated server there, and it seems like they're pretty well fixed. I haven't seen a complaint about the troubles on the message board lately ( http://bulletin.catalog.com ) anyway.
JDF000 is offline   Reply With Quote