Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2000, 01:31 PM   #1
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Question Hosting with DSL

Today I should have what Pac Bell calls enhanced DSL which is really the regular speed/pipe but it provides me with 5 static IPs.

I'm planning on hosting some non mission critical hobby sites for friends. Any experiences and advice you have on this issue would be great?

Are you using Red Hat for a Web server or?

Iv'e even considered the Cobalt Qube 3. Has anyone ever used this appliance to host sites?

Thanks in advance http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
Your Administrator
FREE Ecards for your site. Your pages and images = $$$ Tons of features. We host the script. The easy way to learn who links to your site in the major engines.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2000, 08:53 AM   #2
Tyme

Unhappy

Hiya Steve!

The problem with hosting on a DSL line is that DSL tends to "hiccup", in which the line is open, and nothing is happening. When that happens, whoever is trying to access your site will sit their twiddling their thumbs while they wait for it to get going. That is the biggest complaint...too many sites being accessed at once slows it up big time.

How many sites did you plan to host?

Colbat Qubes are fine, but it depends on what kind of stuff you want to offer. Coblat servers were just not made to do what Linux-based servers can. However, if you only need the basics, it's great.

HTH http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Tyme
SoftwareTyme
Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 11:12 PM   #3
fatale

Unhappy

I had 768 Kbps down / 128 Kbps up DSL line at first, but when I started getting over 1k unique visitors per hour to my 5+ websites, I had to upgrade to 384 Kbps in both directions because it was choking at peak hours. Never had a problem ever since. I'm moving over 50 Gigs per month total.

I also started with P166 / 128 Mb generic Linux box, but had to upgrade to P2 350 / 256 Mb because one of my sites is very heavy on Perl scripts (one of the scripts is over 30k in size).

Now I'm slowly moving all my sites to Tera-Byte/4WebSpace dedicated server so I can play CounterStrike online again. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
fatale is offline   Reply With Quote