Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2001, 05:32 PM   #1
Kathy

Question An interesting solution?

I was recently contacted by an ad agency online that is offering:

Free webhosting for all my domains (this is great news since I was about to go dedicated because I can't be on a shared server any longer....even on an semi-dedicated I've been on for the last 7 months)

and commission split on CPM for target audiences (my sites are all women issue driven) for 50/50.

The contract would be for a year...with exclusive ad rights.

Its a reputable company that I've read many good things about here.

Any concerns I should have?

The tech support will be calling me on Monday to discuss my server needs. I have a heavily trafficed MYSQL bulletin board and 6 domains. So I will be discussing the arrangements with them to see if this will "fit" with what they are doing.

Input please? Concerns? Questions I should ask? I have prepared a list of server needs to make sure they understand the resources my sites require...and yes, I know to get it in contract that all server needs will be covered by them, even as the traffic continues to grow.

Thanks for any input you have,
Kathy
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 08:40 PM   #2
sdarken

Unhappy

Be very very wary about signing an exclusive contract with anyone. There have been numerous examples of content networks going out of business or having serious problems in the last 12 months. Thirsty.Com was an example where I got burnt - I had an exclusive contract with them but after running ads on my site for 3 months they went out of business and I got paid nothing even though Thirsty was paid for the advertising and I was supposed to get a percentage of that payment.

In your case, make sure you get all promises in writing - are they guaranteeing you a specific CPM rate? - probably not - so what would happen if they couldn't sell all your advertising or are forced to sell it to poor performing CPC campaigns - you could end up being forced to settle for 50% of very little revenue with no way out.

I would suggest writing into your contract the ability to break your contract if your net revenue drops to less than some amount (eg 1.50cpm?).

Good luck.
Simon
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote