Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2000, 10:47 PM   #1
GuruChoc

Cool Hit the search engine jackpot :)

I haven't submitted my site to a search engine in nearly a year, I had given up on them, they accounted for 2% of my traffic, a couple of weeks ago I used my Webtrends stats and made the key words = the top 20 searches fot the last month that got people to my site, maybe this was what changed the way Atla Vista looked at my site, I am now getting 20% of my traffic from them, and ranked No 1 on 3 or the 4 top search phrases for my site, a nice healthy 1000+ new unique visitors daily http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

None of the other major engines have increased beyond 0.25%, maybe this will happen soon. I didn't think search engine ranking was much chop, now I will spend some time submitting to the ones I don't rank so high in.

------------------
Gareth Hall-Author of the Bubble Bobble FAQ.
Owner of Arcade ROM Heaven - Where all the good ROMs are laid to rest.
http://www.arcadeheaven.com
GuruChoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2000, 06:04 AM   #2
SearchTraffic
Member.

Unhappy

Good for you Guru.

In my old webmastering days I had this happen to me a number of times.

All of a sudden, out of nowhere, a page not updated or thought about for 9 mos. becomes #1 on AV or lycos and starts bringing in good traffic. (Unfortunately they end up dissapearing as mysteriously as they appear)
SearchTraffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2000, 11:30 AM   #3
LorenBaker

Cool

It looks like you've figured out one of the easiest techniques of search engine optimization my man... optimize for what people are searching for. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Additionally, notice that the words that you've added as your keywords are not only just in your META tags.. they're the top keywords in the HTML text of your site.

Better than that... they're linked!!!

That's even better.

You should start getting more traffic from Google soon. Especially for Arcade Emulators!

How is your link popularity??

Keep up the good work!

Loren Baker
Web Ad.vantage, Inc.
Award Winning eMarketing Tips and Free Turkeys: http://www.webadvantage.net/promos/turkey.htm
LorenBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2000, 08:15 PM   #4
GuruChoc

Unhappy

Loren Baker :How is your link popularity??

Not quite sure what you mean by this.

SearchTraffic: I hope it doesn't die soon, it is a nice suprise.
Old 11-02-2000, 09:54 PM   #5
sdarken

Unhappy

Link popularity is measured by the number of other sites with links pointing back to you.

Link popularity is becoming an important factor in the way you are ranked by search engines. The theory is that if lots of sites point to your site then your site must be worthwhile.

Google apparently goes even one step further and ranks sites based on the value of the links to your site. For example, a link from Yahoo or DMOZ will get your a better ranking than a link from just about anywhere else.

Anyway, to check how many sites link to your site try:

1) http://www.marketposition.com/linkpopularity.htm
2) www.linkpopularity.com

- Simon

[This message has been edited by sdarken (edited 11-02-2000).]
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2000, 04:42 PM   #6
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif And, I currently return results from:

AltaVista, Google, HotBot, Infoseek, and Lycos
http://www.geekvillage.com/cgi-bin/p...ge_popular.cgi

HTH

Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2000, 05:04 PM   #7
jerryp

Unhappy

I just tried the link popularity checker, and I was wondering why there can be such huge differences. For example, on the popularity checker here, I run on the low side 2,100 links in on google, to over 10,000 on Lycos. Now when I go to the linkpopularity.com one, my av links are about 20% lower, infoseek and hotbot are reasonably close. And then the marketposition.com one av matches here, hotbot is close, lycos is about 20% off from here, and go (if i assume that's the same as infoseek) is about half of what is here. And Alexa is much higher than any of them.

What I end up with is a range from 1,375 on the low end (go) to 21,647 on the high end (Alexa). Is there any one of these that in general is considered a reliable rule of thumb that folks use?
jerryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2000, 05:54 PM   #8
Chris_Howard
Member.

Unhappy

Quote:
What I end up with is a range from 1,375 on the low end (go) to 21,647 on the high end (Alexa). Is there any one of these that in general is considered a reliable rule of thumb that folks use?[/b]
I guess it really depends on the search engine. Some have much larger indexed databases and some are updated more frequently.

------------------
Chris Howard
SponsorDirectory.com - The definitive guide to generating revenue from your website.

PRSubmit.com - Send your press release to over 5000 media contacts for only $150! Also, 40% of sales referred to affiliates.
Chris_Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2000, 05:57 PM   #9
GuruChoc

Unhappy

Engine Popularity
AltaVista 259
Google 172
HotBot more than 200
Infoseek 73

I thought this was good, but looking at the other stats it ain't that grand http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

I have also added www.arcadeheaven.com/promote this is a list of all the mame roms used by the current version of mame and each rom has it's own genrated page, I have just added this URL to goggle to see if it helps.
Old 11-09-2000, 04:26 AM   #10
Chris_Howard
Member.

Unhappy

does anyone here receive 20% of more of their traffic from search engines?

------------------
Chris Howard
SponsorDirectory.com - The definitive guide to generating revenue from your website.

PRSubmit.com - Send your press release to over 5000 media contacts for only $150! Also, earn 40% of referred sales.
Chris_Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2000, 07:52 AM   #11
Synozeer

Unhappy

Not me. More along the lines of 5-10% on my MUD site. Since I provide a topsites list, I get a lot of traffic from that. Yahoo only gives me between 15-35 hits a day due to the specific nature of my site. For one day I was listed as #2 in AOL for the word MUD but the next day it was gone *sigh*.

------------------
Top MUD Sites - www.topmudsites.com
Best of Britney Spears - britneybabe.terrashare.com
Best of Jennifer Lopez - jenniferbabe.terrashare.com
BIG Bucks - thebigbucks.hypermart.net
Synozeer is offline   Reply With Quote