Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2000, 09:48 AM   #1
walther

Unhappy Is this a stupid site idea?

I am asking this in the "making money" forum rather than in "site promotion" or "barter/trade" because I have nothing yet to promote or trade. I just have a modest web site idea and I would like some feedback on whether people think it is viable.

I was thinking of a site that would keep track of click through & effective CPM rates for various ad brokers. It would depend on user feedback to keep the database updated. Anyone who left a review of an ad broker would receive the small reward of a link to their site, to be rotated with the links of other contributors. The stats presented would be the median of the individual reviews. This site would try to make money by referrals.

I realise that there are lots of sites that try to "review" brokers; some, like clickquick, are legit, and others are just cheerleaders that try to get you to sign up for the brokers with the biggest kickbacks. But I think that objective info on realistic payouts is scarce and sometimes seems wildly optimistic (eg see http://www.eboz.com/advice/banner_advertising/web_ad_rates.shtml). So I think a niche remains for up to date, objective information.

This wouldn't be a huge moneymaker obviously; maybe just something to pick up a little bit of extra cash to pay for my colo. Plus it would give me an excuse to create a site using some really nifty dynamic html software I have been playing with.

So, my questions are: Would people be interested in the info such a site would provide (up to date info on clickthroughs & effective CPM)? Would people be willing to take the time to enter their own information to build up the database (just a few numbers like effective CPM, click-through rate, 1-5 rankings of ad quality & ad variety)?

Regards,
Walther

[Edited for typos]

[This message has been edited by walther (edited 07-30-2000).]
walther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 05:42 PM   #2
sdarken

Unhappy

Sounds like a good idea.

I was thinking of setting up something similar. Perhaps you could extend this to include programs from places such as C.J. You will certainly need to 'encourage' people to contribute since, although there are lots of people who would be interested to read the info, it wont be really useful until you have sufficient contributors to report on many different companies for many different types of sites.
- Simon
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 07:41 PM   #3
mlbs2000
Member.

Unhappy

Sounds a very good idea. Help us people at this forum out a lot.

------------------
From Mafyou/MLBS2000[*]Webpage: The Entertainment Gold Network (Coming back soon)[*]E-mail: mlbs2000@psypoke.com [*]ICQ: 74466003[*]AIM/AOL: Mafyou54
[*]:: The Entertainment Gold Network ::
Coming Soon..... Anime Gaming Gold, Britney Spears Gold, Big Movies Gold.....

100 Posts - 200 Posts a/b
mlbs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote