Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Search Engine Marketing & Optimization
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #1
Sootah

Arrow Abandon banned domain, or try to recover it?

One of my domains that I acquired last year is now banned. This happened some time ago because with that particular domain I was at the time using some black hat methods. There's not a whole lot on this domain as of yet, so it'd be pretty easy to just setup a new domain and move the content over, but I like the domain name that I have.

The blackhat stuff is gone, and actually has been for some time, and yet with this last PR update my bar went from a PR 0 to grayed out.

So, is it worth it to try to recover this domain, or is that a waste of time? Would I be better off going through the whole "sandbox" with a new one, or is a recovery more timely?
Sootah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:09 PM   #2
Sootah

Perhaps grayed out does not necc. mean banned. I just looked at a new section of one of my other sites and it's PR area is gray. Some time ago I stopped linking to that particular site and as such it probably just fell off the face of the planet according to the SE's.
Sootah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
dvduval

I'm 1 for 2 in that department. I got one out in 3 months, and the other is at about the 1 year point.
dvduval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
hostNpost

Its pretty hard to get back in the game.
hostNpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
Simone

2 of my sites was banned over a year ago and on the last update recovered so I tell you to stay on the domain.
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:06 PM   #6
gravtex

I've managed to get sites banned in all three major search engines, and when it comes time to getting them back in, here's what I've found:

MSN is the easiest to get back into. Just stop doing what got you banned in the first place, get some quality links, and you should be back in within a month or so.

Google will frequently (but not always) get your back in if you go to their Webmaster Central (www.google.com/webmasters), claim your site, then file a reinclusion request through their forums, tell them what you think you did that caused them to deindex you, tell them you won't do it again, and then wait - I've found that for some sites I'm back in within a few days, and then there's times where it takes a long while. The important thing is that you site truly be cleaned up or you've got no chance.

Then there's Yahoo. If getting back into Yahoo on a timely basis is important, get a new domain. It seems that reinclusion requests are largely ignored, but then again, they tend to be a little more lax on banning you in the first place.

Hope this helps. I usually try to get a site reindexed before giving up and starting with a new domain since domain age is an important factor in how well your site will rank in the search engines.

Gary Ruplinger
gravtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:52 AM   #7
gophergas

Just out of curiosity -- and if you don't mind sharing -- what were you doing that got you banned?
gophergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:56 AM   #8
PaperclipCMS

I was talking about this in another thread...I have had a url that had been banned prior to my purchase of it. I found that the best way to get back in everyones good books was to clean the site out of anything malicouse or sketchy to search engines, flood the site with good unique content, establish solid link relations with a few sites and to ensure that my overall SEO campaign was super transparent. Then I forgot about it for about 6 months. I watched as spiders began to revisit my site and sometime within that 6 month time frame my site got re-listed and everything was ok again.

So the moral of the story...keep the url and see what happens after 6months or so...just my 2 cents worth
PaperclipCMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:52 PM   #9
parusa619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sootah View Post
One of my domains that I acquired last year is now banned. This happened some time ago because with that particular domain I was at the time using some black hat methods. There's not a whole lot on this domain as of yet, so it'd be pretty easy to just setup a new domain and move the content over, but I like the domain name that I have.

The blackhat stuff is gone, and actually has been for some time, and yet with this last PR update my bar went from a PR 0 to grayed out.

So, is it worth it to try to recover this domain, or is that a waste of time? Would I be better off going through the whole "sandbox" with a new one, or is a recovery more timely?
It is up to you, but better recover it because traffic, SERP, and backlinks are very hard to recover...
parusa619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
meanne2007

how many months or year does the site being abandon? Just be patient and create hard work because it was hard to recover it since it was abandoned ..
meanne2007 is offline   Reply With Quote