Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 08:38 AM   #1
jwilliams

Cool Important : How much companies pay for email addresses?

Hello,

I have a list of 5.000 email addresses which I have collect through subscription form on my site. I would like someone to suggest me a company which pays the highest for serving their ads in emails. I heard that bidclix pays good, but is it also reliable? Also I am interested in selling my list of emails. Are there any companies which buy them and for how much? How much an email is worth?

My friend, who is CEO of a big US company has legally collected a list of 10.000.000 - 40.000.000 addresses. Again those are not emails bought from hackers (They also don`t have such big lists) so they are of very high productivity. He didn`t tell me much so I am curious, how much are such emails worth if you sell them to advertising companies?

Regards,
Luke
Old 10-03-2001, 08:58 AM   #2
WildComputer

Just want to stick on my moderator hat for a moment. Please, in future, can you not put "Important" in the titles of your threads. Every thread on this board is "Important".

There is a link to our Posting Guide on every page of this BBS - see point 7

Thank you in advance for your understanding and anticipated cooperation
Old 10-03-2001, 09:03 AM   #3
Czar

Webmaster

Mod #2 also slipping on hat:

What's more, this thread is a virtual duplicate of your post from a few days ago:
http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=13141

Duplicate posts and agenda-based 'bumping' is not permitted here.

I trust that you understand why these rules are in place, and thank you for your cooperation.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 10-03-2001, 09:08 AM   #4
JP Sauve
Member.

Default Re: Important : How much companies pay for email addresses?

Quote:
Originally posted by jwilliams
legally collected a list of 10.000.000 - 40.000.000 addresses
For some reason, the terminology you used kind of scares me. What's "legally collected"? Unless these are from subscriptions or memberships, they probably aren't worth much. If the company belonging to your friend is not well known, probably no buyer would believe these are legit subscriptions.

Unfortunately it's not the best time to sell your mailing list. You'd be lucky to get 10 cents each for your 5000 sub list (depending on the topic of the newsletter), and that's from selling and giving up the whole list, not just a copy it. A copy of the list is pretty much worthless and would basically subject your readers to spam.
Old 10-03-2001, 11:26 AM   #5
freew

If I was one of your 5,000 subscribers & I learned you were selling my address to the highest bidder I would no longer be one of your subscribers - and I am sure 4,999 of your 5,000 subscribers would agree.
Old 10-03-2001, 12:07 PM   #6
jwilliams

Default Hello

I apologize that I posted "important" into the topic, but I thought this might help to get some replies to my email.
I did not know I am not allowed to post threads more than once, for what I am sorry Czar.

About my mailing lists. I would not sell them to a highest bidder, but I would like to find someone who would buy them and continue my work, because I do not have time to send daily news, so I need someone to take over.

About those 10.000.000 emails I can tell you that those emails are as I previously said from subscribers. People actually subscribed to an non adult newsletter. And I think 10.000.000 or 40.000.000 (I am not sure) should be worth more than a 1.000.000$. As I heard with 10.000.000 emails 20.000 sales were easily generated. Just think about the money he might get.

I look forward for your replies,
Luke
Old 10-03-2001, 01:56 PM   #7
darnell

Default Re: Hello

Quote:
Originally posted by jwilliams
About my mailing lists. I would not sell them to a highest bidder, but I would like to find someone who would buy them and continue my work, because I do not have time to send daily news, so I need someone to take over.

About those 10.000.000 emails I can tell you that those emails are as I previously said from subscribers. People actually subscribed to an non adult newsletter. And I think 10.000.000 or 40.000.000 (I am not sure) should be worth more than a 1.000.000$. As I heard with 10.000.000 emails 20.000 sales were easily generated. Just think about the money he might get.

I look forward for your replies,
Luke
So because someone signs up for a non-adult newsletter, that gives you or your friend the right to sell their address to a 3rd party? I would think not and still must agree with freew's post in regards to that.

It appears there are 2 separate list in question here (list 1 with 5000 addresses and list 2 with 10 thousand plus).

As for list #1:
If your list is changing hands just for someone else to do what you used to provide for them, all 5000 of those e-mail addresses should still be bound to your original privacy statement. Did you have one? So the next person sending them daily news would need to agree to abide by that original privacy statement (if there was any on your site).

As for list #2:
They may have subscribed to a non-adult newsletter, but did the privacy statement on the site they signed up at mention their e-mail address may be sold to 3rd parties? Did they agree that their e-mail address could be given to 3rd parties (maybe via a checkbox when entering their e-mail address)? If neither of these is true, then I would say that it would be VERY wrong to sell those e-mail addresses.

Really, I feel it is wrong to sell anyone's e-mail address unless they explicitly gave you permission to do that. Via a checkbox agreeing their e-mail address can be given to 3rd parties (when they originally signed up).

I can't say I know anyone that would knowingly agree to receive spam from any 3rd party. Just because it's non-adult does not mean anything. Same rules apply.
Old 10-03-2001, 02:05 PM   #8
steb
Member.

are there any companies that will act as a broker for email addresses?

I know advertising.com has a scheme where you are given content to send to your list (list never leaves your hands as far as I could see)
Old 10-03-2001, 07:32 PM   #9
TrafficBroker

Default Re: Re: Important : How much companies pay for email addresses?

Quote:
Originally posted by suave

You'd be lucky to get 10 cents each for your 5000 sub list (depending on the topic of the newsletter), and that's from selling and giving up the whole list, not just a copy it.
Hey Suave...

I have over 50k opt outs a day at 10 cents each with the following data:

Full name
email
zip code

Have any leads for me?

-Robert
Old 10-04-2001, 02:16 AM   #10
LastActionHero

Quote:
Originally posted by steb
are there any companies that will act as a broker for email addresses?

I know advertising.com has a scheme where you are given content to send to your list (list never leaves your hands as far as I could see)
Does the program still exist? Can you please give me the link to the scheme?
Old 10-04-2001, 03:47 AM   #11
JP Sauve
Member.

Robert,

We're launching a coreg program very soon. 10 cents for opt-out is very high though.
Old 10-04-2001, 07:28 AM   #12
gunnar

Opt outs are, as suave says, expensive at 10 cents apiece. However, these allegedly come with extensive data such as full name, zip code, age and ***. That will make them worth more because of higher customizability (you can send them mail with "Hi John" in the message and stuff like that).

How much extra that makes an address worth is difficult to say. What kind of co-reg form or similar that they are collected from also plays a big part in their value. If you have 20 pre-checked lists on your form you are in some cases selling the same address 20 times, which makes it virtually worthless.

The email advertising business spans the whole range from fully ethical to outright spam. The safest route is to keep a double opt-in list with only a signup box on your site, without any co-registration at all. This won't allow for very rapid growth, though.

Often some type of co-reg deal with another site will increase your subscription rate without affecting the integrity of your list. The question of ethics comes in when you have to decide whether to allow the subscription box to be prechecked or not. A prechecked box will bring many more subscribers, but some won't realize they have subscribed to your list, leading them to think you are spamming them.

It's not a simple issue.
Old 10-04-2001, 08:40 AM   #13
jwilliams

Default To Darnell

Thanks for your reply.

Well yes I think it`s wrong if I sell email addresses to a third party which would use my addresses to spam them, but I do not think it`s wrong if I sell them to another third party which would do the same job as I do, only paste their own ads instead of mine. People subscribed to get the content they want and are they don`t care who will send them. Also you must know that it will still come out in it`s usual form and under my name. Of course we would do a contract deal with the seller, otherwise he could use addresses to spam.

About second listing I can not tell you much. I know it is wrong to sell them, but he mentioned me he is thinking about that. When we are talking about 40.000.000 addresses this become very serious. Also, I did not get any reply from you about the price you think those are worth? I am not asking that in his name I am only curious.

Regards,
Luke
Old 10-04-2001, 08:46 AM   #14
clay
Member.

Can u tell what site(s) you used to get these email addresses? I want to make sure that I'm not subscribed. I do care who sends the content, and I don't want my email address to be sold. Also, if you say you that you won't sell the email addresses, then you shouldn't for any reason. I hate SPAM!!!, and you are doing nothing less than contributing to it. This is one of the reasons I subscribe to very few newsletters anymore.
Old 10-04-2001, 08:49 AM   #15
clay
Member.

quick suggestion, and this would be something I would not object to. I personally think you should just send an email to the list stating that you will no longer be keeping it up, find a related newsletter that would pay you for refferals, and then recommend it to take it's place. Who knows, you might even get more out of it with so many subscribers.

Edit: You could even schedule an end date such as a few months away, giving you more time to post the recommendations and get referrals. That way if someone missed an issue, they can maybe catch it in the next.

Last edited by clay; 10-04-2001 at 08:52 AM.
Closed Thread