Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR SALES: geek/Marketplace > Barter/Trade, Buy, & Sell > Archives of old posts from Let's Barter/Trade, Buy, & Sell
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2000, 02:50 PM   #1
Flix

Unhappy Share a T1 line - high bandwidth hosting

First, let me make things real clear, I am NOT into the webhosting business. This is also the ONLY place on the web I am mentioning this, as I only need a few people to make this work.

I mentioned this possibility elsewhere, but have done some research and am at that point where I am going to try and make a go of this...if I can find a few people to go in with me.

I run a few sites, the main one being www.film-tech.com Because I host manuals for projection equipment and it is the only site of it's kind on the net, my bandwidth is getting ridiculous and I am seeking another alternative. (My sites are "non-profit".) Here is the plan.

I am going to install a T1 line into my business. This will be a full 1.544Mbps line and I intend to share it with 5 people or less (whatever it takes to cover the costs of the line - I'm not looking to make a profit here). I can offer absolutely unlimited bandwidth (and I really do mean that, I'm not going to monitor it unless it's just clogging up the T1 line to some unbelieveable proportion). If co-location isn't your thing, I have a few high end servers that are not being used and I will provide the hardware and maintain it with a Lynix OS for a slighly higher rate with whatever storage space you desire (something like 5 or 10 gigs enough?) You can run your own cgi scripts or whatever you like. All I ask is no spamming! Past that, this would be a sort of partnership between individuals. The only thing I can not guarantee is a continual power source. Bear in mind that possibly once or twice a year, the power may go out at my business and the servers will be "off the air" for perhaps a few minutes, maybe an hour. I will provide UPS backups, but am not going to mess with diesel backup generators and things like that. So if your site is not "mission critical" and you need a heck of a lot of bandwidth/storage, please consider this.

If there is anyone here interested in this sort of arrangement, please contact me at Flix@film-tech.com Further details can be setup at that point. Hopefully there is a couple of people here that are in this same situation as I am in and together we can solve our problems. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Old 12-05-2000, 02:23 PM   #2
YeahBuddy

Unhappy

E-mail's on the way http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
Old 12-05-2000, 04:02 PM   #3
fatale

Unhappy

If it's not "mission critical" why don't you just get one of those ADSL lines? I think you can get half of T1 speed for around $150-$200/month these days.
Old 12-05-2000, 04:26 PM   #4
Flix

Unhappy

First (and most importantly), ADSL is not available in my area. Second, unless you sign up for a commercial based line, they will get you for bandwidth.
Old 12-07-2000, 12:24 AM   #5
fatale

Unhappy

What do you mean by "they will get you for bandwidth"? I've started with a 768/128 kbps residential line, but had to upgrade to 384/384 kbps because my servers were saturating it. Still paying $90/month with no surcharges for high-bandwidth usage.
Old 12-07-2000, 12:47 AM   #6
Flix

Unhappy

Many of my friends who tried running a web site off of their DSL line have been shut off due to the bandwidth.
Old 12-10-2000, 11:00 PM   #7
Flix

Unhappy

This is interesting, as most of the people who have replied are most interested in a high bandwidth managed virtual server.

I've been discussing this with my UNIX guru and how would a package along these rough ballpark lines be? 5 gigs storage space - 100 gigs of bandwidth - all the normal stuff like your own cgi-bin, FTP access, Telnet access, plenty of email accounts, blah, blah, blah for $150-200/month. Yes, this would be for a virtual server that we would be responsible for maintaining and would only be shared with about a dozen other people (not several hundred like most virtual servers are). The only thing we could not guarantee would be power backups, so every once in a while the site may go down for a short period of time, but that is quite rare. The best part would be a direct phone number to the business (and my personal cellular phone number) in the event of a problem, so no more waiting on hold forever to talk to someone.

Anyone in such a need? Actual specifics can be varied for a particular situation. If you have any non-mission critical sites that use a lot of bandwidth or need large amounts of storage, please email me as I'm trying to see if I can make this fly.

[This message has been edited by Flix (edited 12-10-2000).]