Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2003, 04:14 PM   #1
photocartoonist
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Question Managed Dedicated Servers

I am confused by all of the offers. Please HELP!

I have a managed dedicated server hosted with AITCOM. I pay $350 per month plus a monthly fee for every domain on the server (virtual host). This seems to be in line, even a little cheaper, than companies like Rackspace and Burst.net.

I see no difference between Burst.net and Nocster.net excpet the price. I know that they are the same company. I am guessing that Nocster's managed dedicated servers come with less managment since it is $340 a month less for the same hardware/bandwidth.

I have four months to make my decision and I want to be informed about the options and prepared to take on some of the admin work. I do want a managed server but how much management do I really need and what are the costs vs services options?

Thank for your help.

Kat
Old 01-25-2003, 04:20 PM   #2
jkcity

depending on what you need, you may not really need managed hosting, I got a server with rackshack cheap and I have really had to never do anything in about a year and half.
jkcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 04:30 PM   #3
photocartoonist
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Really?

What would I want to do? I need Perl and MySQL. I need the ability to install CGI scripts; pretty standard stuff. I would like at least 10 IP addresses and for whatever reasons I cannot do that with my dedicated server with AIT.

I guess it scares me a little when I would have to solve the OS problems but I am guessing that the admins of my server created thet problems to begin with !

I have some time. I want to know what my options are...

Kat
Old 01-25-2003, 06:36 PM   #4
mainarea

Nocster only uses Level3, Global Crossing (Link isn't up yet), Sprint, and occasionally cogent (But only for cogent to cogent transfer if it's the fastest route). Also, Nocster doesn't provide phone tech support (just tickets and AIM). Burst has phone support and has Level3, Global Crossing, ATT, Sprint, and Cogent bandwidth (Possibly more providers in the future).

Nocster will help troubleshoot issues such as CPanel/WHM issues and look into any hardware troubles you may experience. Also, they'll upgrade your kernel for free if needed.
mainarea is offline   Reply With Quote