Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2001, 12:59 AM   #1
projectgcse

Question Inktomi program

Hi,
I paid to have my site listed on the inktomi inclusion program. The problem is, is that my site does not appear with other listings on search engines which use inktomi.

When Goto used inktomi, my site used to be listed in the free section. I noticed then that it would appear in the results for a few days and then vanish. In the end it dissapeared from the listing.

Now I can't find my site in any Inktomi based search egines. My site appears on the top 10 of all/most search engines as they keywords are quite specific so I know there is no problem there.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt
projectgcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 05:31 AM   #2
Hope

Unhappy

How long ago did you start the paid inclusion? I could be a matter of the other Ink sites not updating their index yet.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 09:18 AM   #3
starluck

Unhappy

Quote:
Now I can't find my site in any Inktomi based search egines

Initially, I experienced the same problem. Listings that previously appeared on the different engines, totally disappeared within days of the initial submission. That does change over time. The time frame seemed to vary by search engine; some took several weeks to update. In the long run, the investment was worth it.

Coincidentally, or maybe not so coincidentally, our rankings on engines not pulling from Inktomi also increased. Here are 2 urls to listings that didn't exist prior to this program.

One of our MSN search listings

and this Google listing with same keyword as above.

Google is not supposed to be an Inktomi based engine, yet many listings appeared out of nowhere at the same time as the Inktomi listings did.

The only concern I had is the way MSN is listing sites through the Inktomi inclusion program. Notice the added tagging that only MSN seems to tack on. Perhaps someone here could suggest reasons for this addition to the MSN code.

[This message has been edited by starluck (edited 04-09-2001).]
starluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 09:24 AM   #4
projectgcse

Question

I submitted my site about a month ago.

I did notice that the search engines took a while to give my sait in the results but it did appear and then went.

Thanks for your comments / suggestions.

Any other ideas would be appreciated
projectgcse is offline   Reply With Quote