Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2002, 04:35 PM   #1
sparky212

Default Need Large Disk, Low Bandwith Host -- Webmanixhosting?

I'm looking for a dependable host for a large (non-adult) picture gallery site--mostly personal (small audience), so very high bandwidth is not needed, but I need a lot of disk space to hold all the photos...

...this is basically a large family photo album, but I burned through 50meg in a second, and I'm thinking that somewhere closer to 1gig (or more) is what I'm looking for.

I see a bunch of hosts that offer 1-2 gig at "budget" prices, but can anyone testify to their reliability?

Webmanixhosting looks like a distinct possibility. Any experiences?
sparky212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 05:02 PM   #2
mikesgt2

Check out ionhotsing, they are very cheap and I have had no problems so far. There hosting plans are here:

http://www.ionhosting.com/hosting_plans.html
mikesgt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 05:40 PM   #3
sparky212

Default Nope...that's not it

Think you're missing the point...

For one, they're not even close to the same cost for the disk space I'm looking for (1gig). Ion wants $20/month for that, webmanixhosting is $40 for the whole year. Apples and oranges, pricewise.

More to the point, I don't need tons of POP boxes, don't need tons of bandwidth, etc.

I'm intrigued with this issue in general...disk space is cheap, isn't it? Why aren't more hosting companies offering large amounts of disk space, then?

Once again, this is really a small site just for a family...10-20 POP accounts is more than enough...we just have a lot of family pictures (high-quality) and they take a lot of disk space...

I wouldn't mind PHP/MySQL (for gallery applications/guestbook/maybe discussion group) but that seems pretty standard anyway...
Old 11-07-2002, 05:57 PM   #4
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Hi sparky212

Welcome to the "village" and best wishes

Hope you don't mind, let's back up for a moment to the actuall images you wan't to serve on your site which is directly related to your storage requirements which as I understand it is 1 gig.

How many images?

Each "picture/image" you currently have should be saved at 72 dpi/ppi, RGB color space, and .jpg/.jpeg format. Any other settings are wasting storage space for the web and produce no visual difference in the image on the web.

The .jpg format also permits you to reduce "quality" for file size so each image could even be smaller if you are willing to compramise a little quality.

Are all your images in the above format with the exact specifications I posted?

If you aren't sure, post the url and it's easy for us to determine.

I'm not ignoring your other question and plan to help as much as possible but this issue needs to be discussed first IMHO based on your desires

HTH

Last edited by Steve_S; 11-07-2002 at 06:01 PM.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 06:02 PM   #5
sparky212

Default reply...or "why I need big space for images"

Short answer: I'm posting full-quality digital camera (most of us have 3.3megapixel) images to the site so that family members can download/print/order-from-online-photo-printers using the full, high-quality original. That's pretty much it. So we're talking about many (and a growing amount of) 1meg+, sometimes 2meg+ photos.

Does that make sense?

Last edited by sparky212; 11-07-2002 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:44 PM   #6
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Thanks for the clarrification.

"I'm intrigued with this issue in general...disk space is cheap, isn't it? Why aren't more hosting companies offering large amounts of disk space, then? "

A somewhat simplistic answer is because a host would reduce their gross income by 50%. This simplified example should help:

I sell you 1 gig of storage/hosting for $40.00 per month

Almost all hosts that I have seen can sell the 1 gig of storage to 2 accounts which generates $80.00 per month.

This does not mean that http://www.webmanixhosting.com/ aren't great host. It's just a reality in the marketplace based on gross revenue. I'm sorry, but I have no first hand experience with the host you mentioned so hopefully another member can speak to this from first hand experience.

HTH
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 08:08 PM   #7
Jan

Administrator

Hello Sparkie and welcome

I have "consulted" a moderator at www.webhostingtalk.com about www.webmanixhosting.com and he has just vaguely heard of them and there is nothing comes up in a search there for them. There is one mention only of them at FWS and that was from last year.

http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/s...&threadid=6452

No news is good news? or......
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 09:46 PM   #8
Stranger

I am with Lynxwebhosting and am currently happy with their service.

I am on their cheapo plans, but still I get a lot of support, so it makes up for price anyways

http://www.lynxwebhosting.com

They may be an option for you.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 06:11 AM   #9
AleR

I'm happy now with www.alphaomegahosting.com
3Gigs of space on drive and 25 Gig of traffic
- 25$
AleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 07:05 PM   #10
altrash

Istacia.com

500Mb space
50Gb bandwidth
$6 per month

750Mb space
100Gb bandwidth
$10 per month

I use them now.
Average hosting (quality, speed etc.)
altrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 08:24 PM   #11
taint3dlov3
Member.

Talking

Snipped and archived. ABUSE. SPAM

Last edited by Steve_S; 12-02-2002 at 09:05 PM.
taint3dlov3 is offline   Reply With Quote