Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2000, 05:14 PM   #1
Jon Yeager

Question Large Scale Web Hosting (Dedicated Servers?)

Hi,

I'm writing on behalf of a website (don't ask which, I can't say) that got caught off-guard by its own success. It receives about 7,000 unique visitors per day (210,000/month), and flirting with 1,000,000 monthly page views. The bandwidth is between 1 - 2.5 gigs per day (30-60 gigs per month) or what is mostly, believe it or not, a text-based site (no movies or downloads).

We can't even get a good read on our stats anymore because the log file alone exceeds the 50 meg limit imposed by our hosting service in less than 3 days. And that limit is for our entire site! And analyzing those logs takes more time than our rotation allows anyways, giving us blank stat pages most of the time.

Little snags like these (not to mention a slow-loading site) are at the root of our desire to look for alternate solutions.

Does anyone know if a dedicated server is the way to go? They're pretty expensive, so I was hoping there might be another way. Anyone have any solutions and/or companies to recommend? What about co-location? What's the difference between co-location and just sharing space on any $20/month generic plan?

Thanks.

Jon
Old 02-10-2000, 05:41 PM   #2
Edwin

Cool

Your stats sound almost exactly like mine! I host with Digital Nation's dedicated server service... and they just reduced their prices a couple of days ago (literally). You can get a reasonable server with 9GB of disk space, 64MB memory and a PII 400Mhz for $335 a month! I am about to upgrade my own configuration (not the basic one) to their Linux 4 configuration which is a dual processor job bulging with memory.

They charge $150 per 50GB after the initial 50GB included in your monthly hosting fee.

I have had no problems at all with them.

You can find DN at http://www.dedicatedservers.com/

Good luck!

Edwin

------------------
Free Email Address Directory: 1,000+ free email services. http://www.emailaddresses.com/

Old 02-10-2000, 07:19 PM   #3
Arn

Cool

Great thread...

Edwin, I'm going to add followup at the identical thread in Webmaster Issues... (just to consolidate it all)

See you there:
http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/F...ML/000679.html

arn

------------------
http://www.weeno.com - Learn Stuff You Don't Know

Closed Thread