Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2001, 03:18 AM   #1
Helza

Unhappy Help me find a good php/MySQL host (high bandwidth)

Hi,

I'm in desperate need of a good/stable host with the following requirements:

Your budget: MAX $200
Storage required: 50-100mb
Bandwidth required: 100Gig
Do you need Telnet access: Preffered yes
Do you need MySQL: Yes
Do you need PHP: Yes 3 or 4
Do you need NT hosting: No
Do you need CGI/Perl: Yes
Special requirements: Submains would be usefull
Multiple E-Mail Aliasses (+/-50)

Any help is very much appreciated, i checked out some hosting company's which claim to have unlimited transfer but say (after emailing them) they will "force" you to take dedicated hosting if you go over 10-15gig (most of them) and dedicated server often go over my $200 limit http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Helza (edited 05-09-2001).]
Helza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 10:07 AM   #2
demae

Unhappy

Basic Virtual Server at servercentral.net costs $85 per month, gives 400 MB disk space, and gives unlimited bandwidth. (When I ran AnimeWallpapers.com, I hosted it there on their Advanced Virtual Server for $235 a month, unlimited bandwidth, and used 200 GB per month.) They limit your concurrent Apache connections to 20 though, so you can only serve up to 20 clients simultaneously (hint: run thttpd or boa on a high port to get around this).

4webspace.com has RaQ3s with 100 GB bandwidth for $100 a month, but they're out of stock currently. They also have RaQ4s with 100 GB bandwidth for $200 a month that are not out of stock.

rackshack.net has RaQ3s with 150 GB bandwidth for $100 a month, with a ~$300 setup fee.

Note that both 4webspace and rackshack charge exorbiant fees if you want them to install MySQL for you, so if you use them, you might want to do it yourself (or hire a freelancing tech like me to do it http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif).

There's also aplushosting.com; they give unlimited bandwidth to sites that are not the type to consume major bandwidth, if you display their 88x31 button on every page of your site. With them, you might be able to get your site hosted for $40 a month (ask them). AnimeWallpapers.com was hosted with them for $20 a month until it grew over 200 GB.

[This message has been edited by demae (edited 05-10-2001).]
demae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 08:56 PM   #3
JakeJeck

Unhappy

I signed up with www.phpwebhosting.com today. They seem pretty good.
JakeJeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 01:22 AM   #4
TLXchange

Unhappy

$200 is too much for virtual server.
I personally host my site at www.rackshack.net. for 109$/month. I'm not unix geek but haven't many problems installing MYSQL.

Just my 0.02$

------------------
www.tlxchange.com - Text Link Exchange Network

[This message has been edited by TLXchange (edited 05-11-2001).]
TLXchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 08:10 AM   #5
Helza

Unhappy

I love the RackShack deal, the only problem is that i don't know anything about Linux http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif

Would anyone here be so friendly to help me with setting it up ones i purchase/order it?
Helza is offline   Reply With Quote