Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR SALES: geek/Marketplace > Website For Sale - Purchase - Barter - Trade
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
Jay Krupp

Default For Sale: 3,000+ member message board

Description: RNR is a 4 year old hip hop community focusing on the writing and recording or hip hop poetry and music. It also features a large, highly active general discussion forum in addition to the hip hop discussion forum.

Your name: Jake
Your Email address: thesonyoualwayswanted@hotmail.com
URL of the site: www.rhymenreason.net
Age of site: 4+ years
Traffic statistics (PageViews & Uniques ONLY):We're at 17623 unique page views and 789692 hits this month.
Source of traffic: Returning members, word of mouth. A majority of the site's frequent posters have been on the site since it began.
Asking price: Starting at $1500
Gross and net revenue per month (Total): See next
The specific source of your revenue (Names/Details for each. DO NOT post your Google AdSense data): The site currently makes no revenue, but for the 9 months I had Adsense I was making upwards of $300 a month. However, since being dropped from AdSense, I have pursued no other sort of revenue.
Copyright status of the content on the site: I run a leased vBulletin that was renewed mid-April, and the blue style was custom designed.
Any other pertinent data: This site is like my child, but I'm getting married and I simply do not have the time to stay with the upkeep. The member base is extremely strong and dependable; the site can more or less maintain itself with minimal supervision.

Further, the site has enormous growth and revenue potential, considering it's varied age and regional demographic, making it outstanding for any type of advertisment or product.

It's a tough decision for me, personally, but I think it is best for the site.
Jay Krupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
Jay Krupp

Asking price has been moved down to $1000.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:53 AM   #3
Alex|Canep Media
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

You said you were dropped form Adsense, was you being banned have anythign to do with this site?
Alex|Canep Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
Jay Krupp

Yes, this is the only site I own. A majority of my members lived in the same dormatory, and there clicks were tagged as being fradulent because of the similar IP.

Regardless, yes, it was banned from AdSense. However, I was under the impression that it could be reopened if it went under new ownership...
Old 05-11-2006, 04:18 PM   #5
Alex|Canep Media

Unfortunately if you were banned due to fraud associated with this site, then putting ads on the site puts out adsense accounts in jepordy.

If you are interested in selling the site to me strictly on its content adn traffic please send me a PM, but selling it on the value of prior adsense revenue is not gonna provide an accurate value of the site itself.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:13 PM   #6
Jay Krupp

Perhaps I'm not particularly well-versed in internet advertising, but don't other companies, like Yahoo, offer very similar programs that could offer similar revenue?
Old 05-12-2006, 10:19 PM   #7
Czar

Webmaster

Yes, but being banned also raises other doubts about the site's ability to meet past revenue figures. If much of the site's revenue-generating activity is centered around a single college dorm, the future owner may either run into the same IP flagging issue in the future, or lose the site's most loyal visitors (since no buyer is going to reside in that dorm and associate with the same circle of friends).

If you do have a few spare hours, why not try signing up with Yahoo Publisher Network and a few similar contextual networks to give them a quick test run. Even a few days of up-to-date revenue figures may provide a buyer with peace of mind and the ability to calculate a fair market value for the site.

Best of luck with this, Jay.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:59 AM   #8
Alex|Canep Media

I agree with Czar, even though there are other ad networks they can block you just as easily as google from getting clicks originating from same IP.

If that is the case the only value is of the traffic in terms of potential CPM revenue.