Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Search Engine Marketing & Optimization
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2003, 02:24 PM   #1
Catalyst

Default YEA! DMOZ submit working - get your sites in!

After over 2 months, 100 tries, multiple errors and time outs...

I just submitted 3 affiliate programs in a row and they ALL WENT THROUGH! Just like that, and in the middle of the day too. Kinda of weird now that I think about it to be so excited, just because something works right, like it's supposed to. But after months of futile submissions and bizarre errors it is exciting to see that "submission recieved" page finally.

I also got my 5 Star Affiliate Programs submitted Monday and since my friends the editor of that cat - I'm already listed!

Now let's hope Google pulls a fresh directory one of these days!

WhooHoo, get in while the getting is good.
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:17 PM   #2
Supermoo

Thanks for the "heads up" Linda!

I've been trying to submit a few websites into dmoz for quite some time as well, and like you, was so shocked to see that elusive "submission received" page finally appear!

Does this mean Netscape/AOL are finally putting effort back into the once prospering web directory? I can't help but think this action might have something to do with the recent changes in the highly competitive search industry... maybe an AOL search-engine is on the horizon to compete against the likes of Google, MSN and Yahoo!

Regardless, for now I'll be happy seeing that "received" page a few more times.
Supermoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 06:51 PM   #3
DougM

Not only is it working, I got listed today!

Forgive my little celebration. It's pretty exciting for a little startup like mine. I was expecting a much longer wait. It took less than 3 weeks.

Hooray!
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 09:04 AM   #4
njpete

Yup, just got a new site we worked on submitted last week.
njpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 10:20 PM   #5
wrestlingconnection

i submitted a week or so ago... hong long till listed?
wrestlingconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 02:05 AM   #6
photocartoonist
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

We have never stopped working at the DMOZ. Please keep in mind that we are a force of volunteer editors and we do the best we can when we can.

The DMOZ went through months if hardware upgrades and it is now better than ever.

Read the guidelines. PLEASE. Sites are suppose to feature a significant amount of unique, original content to be listed.

Multiple submissions are not a good idea. Editors may mistake that activity as spamming the directory.

it is also not a good idea to boast that you have a friend who is an editor who lists your affiliate site right away. Affiliate sites are NOT suppose to be listed. Editor behavior is scrutinized closely.

The DMOZ can always use motivated editors. Please apply; we could use the help!
Old 10-31-2003, 07:22 PM   #7
smsgui

Does anyone know if a submission is made to a category that doesnt have an editor or DMOZ is looking for a volunteer, does submission get looked at by anyone and does it or would it ever get listed?

THnx
smsgui
smsgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 07:54 PM   #8
Supermoo

Quote:
Originally posted by photocartoonist
it is also not a good idea to boast that you have a friend who is an editor who lists your affiliate site right away. Affiliate sites are NOT suppose to be listed. Editor behavior is scrutinized closely.
I think Linda/Catalyst was referring to the 5 Star Affiliate Programs website she runs, with contains official webpages for the affiliate programs. As in, not just 'standard' affiliate pages with affiliate linking code attached.
Supermoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 12:52 AM   #9
jessebhunt

Smsgui:

I am an editor with DMOZ. If you submit to a category that does not have an editor, that does not mean that it won't be listed. Editors of a parent category in the directory can still edit in the lower categories.

If you see a category that interests you and needs an editor, perhaps you should consider applying.

Jesse
jessebhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 04:22 AM   #10
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Cool

I've never had trouble submiting pages to DMOZ. Just today I submited 13 pages, and every single one of them went through.