Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
fruitbat

Default New Hosting Company Needed for phpBB Board

I'm using Solid-Hosting now and I so DO NOT want to go through the hassle of changing but I think that I absolutely must. Every single night my board gets rickety and slow. When I look at the uptime command I see that the server that my site is on is often running at more than 1.0, sometimes as much as 1.80. I have spoken to their techs on IM and the guy says that he doesn't know what I'm talking about, and that the server that my site is on is fine. Two days ago I sent them a short email complaining about this situation and I have yet to get a response. I just now experienced this phenomenon and sent off my second email.

What I need is a hosting company that can run my PHPBB board without being choked for memory. Users can tell when the server is overloaded and so can I. I'm not looking for a bargain (although that would be nice) I'm looking for a host that can support my business without my having to worry about it.
fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:15 AM   #2
Del

It would likely help to know your user base/average traffic. What is the the most demading your site gets?
Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:01 AM   #3
s.herzig

I agree that it would be very helpful to see some more stats. Try typing "top" into the command shell and copy and paste the contents of the output. I've had 2 servers already that were dead slow because of a kernel that just didn't like the hardware it was running on (giving I/O waits of 98%), after switching servers my I/O wait dropped to 0.1%... or it could be a faulty drive, or too little memory...

Also, how many pageviews do you receive daily?
s.herzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:19 AM   #4
dojo

Normally a phpBB forum shouldn't consume such resources, but then again it depends on activity, files and so on... If you decide to switch hosts afterwards it's not gonna be hard to transfer the account, that's the good thing. You need to see how much bandwidth your site is 'eating' and then you can see if there are some other hosts that can offer you plans for these needs
dojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #5
Onix

If you have a very popular resource you'd better order a dedicated server or at least a VPS.
Onix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
Onix

Also maybe there is a temporary problems with your local IPS?
Try to check it by making a tracert from your PC or using winmtr program:
http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/
Onix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:45 AM   #7
Brast

Agree with Onix. I think that VPS first time suit your needs fully.
Brast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:30 AM   #8
omon
Member.

You may start from VPS and than when your forum will grow you may have a dedi.
omon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
Martie

Most likely since the OP posted this in Dec., he's probably found a new host by now or fixed his problem. Doesn't look like hes been back since Dec.
Martie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:51 AM   #10
hollyy
Member.

It's wise to use VPS and then when you'll have quite enough experience and your site grows change it for a dedi.
hollyy is offline   Reply With Quote