Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2001, 09:00 AM   #1
Ex

Question Linux Vs RAQ4 questions

I'm experienced in using RAQs and I guess its time to migrate to a Linux soon. However, I'm still having some questions I need help with. Please help....

The pricing for a Linux PIII 800Mhz is around the same or cheaper than a RAQ4. I think RAQ4 is a bit more expensive because admin is much simpler. However, with lots of admin programs coming out, wouldn't Linux be a much better choice?

In terms of performance, which of the above are better provided both have the same hardware and running the same script?

What would be the major problems if administering a Linux with Web Interface compare to RAQ4 with web interface?

Would love to hear feedback on this as I'm considering some move into a Linux box (thanks to you singloon!!)

------------------
Ex
Anime Genesis dot Com - Anime Entertainment Channel
Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 07:28 PM   #2
Kaiosama

The RAQ4 and the standard Linux box should perform at the same level... RAQ4 might have an edge with the same hardware because it is running a slightly modified Linux OS for just one reason. That being webhosting... The main reason RAQS are expensive is the software that comes with it as you have sort of already mentioned.

But lets get real if you do buy a standard (I say standard because a Cobalt is also a Linux machine!) Linux/Unix machince at the same price your hardware will most likely be much more powerful (Dual P3 as opposed to a single P2/3 at 450 MHZ). That automatically makes the small performance differences between the 2 Linux OS not that great of a deal.
Kaiosama is offline   Reply With Quote