Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2003, 04:03 PM   #1
lcmetis

Question Traffic Networks and their inventory

I just happened to stumble upon geekvillage today and have already found a ton of useful information and history.

My question to everyone today is about "Traffic" suppliers.

Sites like gopopup.com, generationx-solutions.com (a.k.a boonsolutions.com), webatise.com, webhitsdirect.

Where is the majority of their traffic coming from or fullpage popuners coming from?

Are these folks out there spending every waking moment searching for expired domains? Are they buying from traffic exchanges? and lastly, for the prices how an earth are they affording targeting. gopopup's rates are the highest when it comes to serving to just US and English speaking (you'd think serving to just U.S. would cover that being that is our native language).

I can't imagine the folks are maintaining hugh IP databases and actually geo targeting.

Secondly Boonsolutions sells email advertising very low, is this total spam or not? They certainly claim it's not, we've used them and haven't had any complaints. But why so cheap? Are they buying from get-paid-to-read networks?

Thanks for any response. You'll be seeing a lot of me in these forums in the near future.

Regards,

Last edited by lcmetis; 06-04-2003 at 06:02 PM.
lcmetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 04:39 PM   #2
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the "Village" and best of luck

I'm sure our very own Commander In Chief Czar/Josh will drop buy with some first hand details on your great questions.

I'm not sure if you have already done this so please humor me

Run a search for these companies in our own archives which date back almost 5 years and see if this helps.

I know this didn't answer your questions but perhaps Iv'e pointed you in the correct direction

Good luck
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 06:10 PM   #3
lcmetis

Thanks Steve,

Your town is my residential goal! I'll actually be doing a small stint in Cali from San Francisco to San Diego end of this month.

Yep been searching quit a bit actually. Tons of info!! But, maybe i'm looking for an answer I will not find. The obvious find from my readings is that webhitsdirect is pretty legit. Resell rates are a little higher than generationx-solutions.com , but it looks like they may be getting better click-thru's and overall ROI's for their clients. I think I'll be signing on there shortly.

Still the big mystery, where are they all coming from? I can understand ad.com serving millions with all their publishers. But the cost of servers, maintenance, i/t support ooof! it's gotta hurt.

In searching I haven't found any good details on gopopup.com or generationx-solutions.com nor anything related to email marketing with genX. Lots o money in emails, even for resellers. (Well lots depends on your current salary I suppose).

B....

Last edited by lcmetis; 06-04-2003 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:22 PM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

I'm not in the email marketing scene, so I can't comment on those players, but be very, very careful when purchasing lists. A better idea, in fact, is simply to purchase advertising within respectable email publications. That way you know that the email addies haven't just been mass-harvested unethically.

The traffic brokering business is pretty messy at times, also. As you suggested, some operators found their distribution upon expired domains, adware, low-quality popup and startpage exchanges, etc. Of those that you mentioned, though, a few are reputable.

GoPopup is owned by the firm behind the PayPopup network, which has a reasonable reputation. WebHitsDirect also manages its own network of publishers. Both of these companies also offer reseller programs, so many of the smaller players in the scene offering similar prices are actually just acting as sales agents for GoPopup or WHD. I believe that Webatise is a WHD reseller, in which case their traffic would be equivalent in quality to that of WHD, but I can't confirm this until I get home.

FWIW, the networks served by these two players are quite good. I'm sure that their pops do on occasion find their way onto disreputable or worthless sites, but many within their networks are credible properties. In fact, you'll find that quite a few of the publishers right here at GeekVillage have used PayPopup and/or WHD as popunder brokers.

Hope this helps.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 08:34 PM   #5
lcmetis

CZar,

Thanks for your reply.

One last and puzzling question that anyone may answer. Why is it that none of these networks state which sites their pops are displayed on? Is this a privacy issue and or due to non-discolsure with the real networks they are buying them from?

Thanks,

B....
Old 06-04-2003, 08:47 PM   #6
Czar

Webmaster

Burst, TribalFusion and some niche networks do reveal a complete list of their represented properties.

There are a variety of reasons why a company such as WebHitsDirect would not, though. Some of these include:
1. Publishers are allowed to use the same ad code across multiple properties, so they could add or remove particular sites from rotation at any time. While I'm sure WHD's logs reveal this information, publishing every domain added to the distribution for a day or two would be more trouble than it's worth.
2. Privacy, as you mentioned. Many publishers would take offense at their data being presented on the websites of dozens of resellers operating under these networks.
3. Competition - potential exists for other networks to simply move through the list of properties to lure publishers away from a given broker by offering a better deal.
4. Not a strong sales point - for these broad networks, reach and the ability to target based on geography, language or general topic area is the game. Many of the individual properties represented by these reps are perhaps insignificant alone from a buyer's POV, and are certainly not branded in a manner that would make them seem a valuable catch, but collectively they bring value.
5. The list would be overwhelmingly long.

Certainly, it would be great if these guys could reveal a few sites of note to give some indication as to the better properties represented by each network, but at the end of the day it's really ROI that does the talking.

Performing small test buys through a few of the networks, and comparing these with similarly small buys purchased directly from independent publishers should give you some idea as to which source(s) provide the best returns for your dollar.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 08:58 PM   #7
lcmetis

Man O Man,

Why didn't I find this forum 2 years ago. Thanks again.

Very well explained.

B....