Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2000, 05:41 PM   #1
aHero

Question Fool proved ways on building traffic

Hi, First I have to say that I really enjoy you forum.. then present you with a little problem http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif

I've just finished my site at: http://www.audiohero.com
It's a yahoo kinda site, only mounted on mp3 websites. The problem is traffic. I really don't have any money to spend now so I need some fool proved ways to generate traffic. please http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif

thanks in advance,
-johnsen
aHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2000, 07:46 PM   #2
hobbnet

Unhappy

I am not too sure you want advice proved by fools. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif

But you can try submitting to every search engine known to man and aggressively seek reciprocal linking from sites similar to your own.

-Wade (hopefully not a fool)
hobbnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2000, 03:03 AM   #3
aHero

Unhappy

Sure, thats about what i'm doing today. But it has been over a week since I submitted my site to 30 or something search engines. And I haven't been listed in one yet http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif

How long does it generally take to get listed, and are there any "big" search engines you get listed in instantly ?

Old 12-04-2000, 04:45 AM   #4
Hope

Smile

Don't give up hope. It can take several weeks to get into the major search engines. Once you submit your site, you need to wait for the spider or editor to come out and look at the site. If it is a directory, the editor needs to approve your site and then add it. If it is a spider, you need to wait for the search engine to update. It can take several months for a search engine to update sometimes. The average time for a site to be added to the search engines is 6 weeks.

I don't think your site will be added to many directories. I edit at several directories and wouldn't add your site. The way your site is designed, you are required to scroll left and right to see the whole page. That is a major pain in the butt. Most users will leave your site before they ever take a look at what you have to offer.

Your keywords are too long in my opinion. I would suggest short and sweet. You have keywords and and then you repeat those words in phrases. Try removing the commas and removing duplicate words. It makes the list shorter and works just as well. A lot of search engines are taking less notice of the keywords, but it doesn't hurt to have them neat for those who use them.

Your description, which is still very important in many search engines, is spam. You have the word mp3 listed 4 times. It shouldn't be more than 2 times. I would suggest rewording your description.

After you make the changes, resubmit your main page to the search engines and wait about 3 weeks. After that time, check to see if the site is listed. Search for the URL not the site name.

Good Luck
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2000, 05:10 PM   #5
YeahBuddy

Unhappy

I don't know what browser/resolution you're using, Hope, but I used 800x600 res. and IE 5.0 and I didn't have to scroll sideways. Good advice on the search engines though http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif You know your stuff.

Don't lose faith just yet - search engines are notoriously slow, but when they do list you, it pays off big time.

[This message has been edited by YeahBuddy (edited 12-04-2000).]
YeahBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2000, 08:03 PM   #6
adland

Unhappy

You can also use the search function above to find past threads with "fool proof" ways of getting listed.
adland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2000, 11:03 PM   #7
info@altarnative.com

Unhappy

What are some good sources to learn about putting Mp3s, and set it up where people leave their own MP3s and share, similar to what Mp3 does. I run an online music magazine and I'd like to add a music database. There was a good article in a recent Rolling Stone issue about content web sites taking a back seat to downloadable music web sites. Since we run primarily originaly content, this can apply to us. Still, I'm a firm believe of originality.

Omar

------------------
Altar Native
www.altarnative.com

"Tomorrow's music....today"
info@altarnative.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2000, 11:05 PM   #8
info@altarnative.com

Unhappy

What are some good sources to learn about putting Mp3s, and set it up where people leave their own MP3s and share, similar to what Mp3.com offers. I run an online music magazine and I'd like to add a music database. There was a good article in a recent Rolling Stone issue about content web sites taking a back seat to downloadable music web sites. Since we run primarily original content, this can apply to us. Still, I'm a firm believe of originality, but I'd like to keep up with the times at the same time.

Omar

------------------
Altar Native
www.altarnative.com

"Tomorrow's music....today"
info@altarnative.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2000, 04:26 AM   #9
Hope

Smile

YeahBuddy,

I use Netscape 4.61 resolution is set to 1024X768. I have to scroll sideways. It may be a tables issue with Netscape.

Every webmaster, designer and programmer NEEDS to view the pages in Netscape. Even if you are an EI fan and refuse to use Netscape. There are still a LOT of Netscape users out there. If they have problems with your site, then they will leave.
Old 12-05-2000, 06:42 PM   #10
Chazhound

Cool

I use Netscape too and had to scroll to the right big time.

I mean you wasn't even close http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Chazhound http://www.FreeReports.net
Chazhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2000, 12:41 AM   #11
YeahBuddy

Unhappy

Hope,

Don't worry, I always check my sites in NS - grates on my nerves just to have to use it even for that short amount of time, but I do it. At my most recent web project, around 10% of the visits were from Netscape users. It sounds like a table problem to me.. but how you have to scroll sideways is strange.
Old 12-06-2000, 12:43 AM   #12
YeahBuddy

Unhappy

If you are referring to the my.mp3.com service - to my knowledge, that would be nearly impossible to do without HUGE amounts of cash and a super-expensive server.
Old 12-06-2000, 12:48 AM   #13
aHero

Hmm, must be a strange problem with netscape. Have checked my sites in I.E 5.0 And Opera 3.0 and looks okay there. Don't have time to download before I switch to Mandrake http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif

Gonna Check 'em on my new smart phone tomorrow...

scroll sideways sounds straaange :/

Setting up a mp3board sharing mp3 files scheme is no problem, exept that the IRRA don't like illegal mp3 files that it much http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif

well thanks for the feedback.. have changed some of my metatags http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

______
-johnsen
Old 12-06-2000, 04:18 AM   #14
Hope

Talking

Your meta tags look better. There is no need for that comment tag. The search engines don't read them.

You should change your table size to %. That will help with the scrolling. You have the tables too large for the page. Netscape, IE and Opera all veiw your code differently. If you are going to use pixels instead of % you need to use Netscape to judge the width. It seems to be the only one to have this problem.
Old 12-06-2000, 07:47 AM   #15
LorenBaker

Unhappy

AHero,

I realize that creating traffic to your site is essential because of running a site with a business plan based around advertisements and affiliate links, but I would also put a huge focus on building some content on your site.

You might want to try having an intern or someone do the research to find all of the top music and MP3 sites out there and actually list them in your categories. Then e-mail each one of them and tell them that if they will return a link to your extremely popular search/directory, your will list them at the top of each category. Due to low response rates from web masters, you shouldn't have much of a problem.

I would also suggest participating in MP3 based bulletin and discussion boards along with other internet marketing boards like BizWeb2000.com, you might find some more insight on those boards too.

I know that one frequent poster runs a local band MP3 site called xtreme-zone.com with a popular e-zine. You may be able to swap placement on your sites/ newsletters.

You are in a highly competitive market, but since your site is destined to be more of a resource, you may have a chance.

Get your site completed and chocked full of info and then pay the $199 to get listed in Yahoo. It will be worth it, plus- your site begins with an "A", which will put you at the top of their listings.

By the way, I just submitted your site to the Go Topics directory under "MP3 Search Engines"... I'll let you know if they accept it.

Hope this helps,

Loren Baker

Web Ad.vantage

LorenBaker is offline   Reply With Quote