Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2002, 07:44 PM   #1
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Cool Amazon Shopping Cart.

Any one tried the option of adding the Shopping Cart buttons, to add the item directly to the shopping cart from your web site? It looks like it converts very well. I just tried it a tiny bit as a test run, and out of 16 clicks, two items were ordered, compaired to a total of eight items being ordered from 2066 clicks.

Last edited by Nintendo; 09-27-2002 at 09:15 PM.
Nintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 12:47 AM   #2
emmzee

This is probably a stupid question, but how do you build shopping cart links? I don't see that option anywhere in the Amazon Build-a-link section ... I tried to cut and paste a shopping cart URL but that didn't work .......
emmzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 06:50 AM   #3
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Hey Nintendo,

This sounds like it could really work on my sites. Could you post the URL of a page where you're using this feature?

Muchos!
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 10:18 AM   #4
joma

There's a link to this feature on the affiliates homepage. (I think I did a text search on "cart" and found it).

I'd also like to hear more from people who have tried it. It's a compelling idea; unfortunately at the bottom of the info page it indicates that commissions from this kind of clickthrough are limited to 5%.
joma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 11:12 AM   #5
Nintendo

http://www.gamecubecc.com/store.shtml

Got's one Shopping Cart form button at the very top, then all the games listed below got a text link and then the Shopping Cart button. I didn't even know about it until last week, since I usually only go to the stats pages.

https://associates.amazon.com/exec/p...300419-4364754 shows how to add the shopping cart.

I sure hope they just forgot to update the thing about the 5% commission rate. *E-mails them about that.*
Old 09-28-2002, 02:15 PM   #6
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Thanks for sharing, Nintendo. I'm going to give this link method a try.

Please let us know what you hear from amazon about the five percent cap on this linking method.
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 02:41 PM   #7
Nintendo

Another place to put the buttons besides a store section, or where you normally have the top banner, is at the start or end of a review, since most people that view reviews probably don't have the product yet. If any one has any other ideas for using the Shopping Cart buttons, let us know.
Old 09-28-2002, 04:14 PM   #8
emmzee

Thanks for the info and tips, I'll try out the links on a page of mine. I'm using one of them here:

http://www.vgstores.com/book.php

Where I'm trying to sell a particular book about video games. Hmmm while I'm posting, anyone have any comments on how to improve that page to generate better conversions? I only have about 20 clickthrus to Amazon from that page so far so it's kind of hard to judge how well its going to convert. (If this sort of thing isn't allowed in this forum, please ignore it ... or I'm sure Czar will edit it for me heheh)

I sure wish Amazon had realtime stats ... I hate having to wait for updates!
emmzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 04:22 PM   #9
joma

Here's one suggestion that could improve conversion 10% or so: the Javascript file "randombar.js" is missing, and that prevents my version of Netscape from displaying anything at all. The browser just jumps to the 404 page.
joma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 05:02 PM   #10
jokearound

im just about to start using amazon..when exactly do they update their stats?
jokearound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 05:49 PM   #11
mikesgt2

Once every 24 hours
mikesgt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 10:37 PM   #12
1lit

Great feature - if it's 15%

Did you get a reply from Amazon about whether they paid 15% or 5% for book links via the shopping cart on one's page?
1lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 07:36 PM   #13
Nintendo

No reply yet. Maybe if every one E-mails them about it then they'll reply to someone. BTW, notice they changed there stat pages. Now if only the stats were updated live.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:25 AM   #14
Nintendo

Still never replied about the 5% thing, but about the rule of having to have the Shopping cart button say 'Buy From Amazon.com', if you E-mail them about it you might be able to list something else. Here's an E-mail I sent them and then there reply.

Instead of listing the Shopping Cart button as 'Buy From Amazon.com', would it be OK to have an Amazon.com button to the left, and then to the right list the buttons as the title name? This would be at the very top of the page, where banners normally show up, where there's not a lot of room for both the text and button. You can view an example at http://www.nintendo-library.com/cgi-...top_banner.cgi

I have reviewed the link indicated in your letter. Yes, you can use the text links as you have on the web site I reviewed.

Thank you for participating in the Associates Program.

Best regards,

Julie
Amazon.com Associates Program