Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2001, 02:54 PM   #1
PWR_Paul_Banker

Angry Stay Away from Burlee.com!!!

Two friends of mine who both have Burlee as a host (which says they have unlimted bandwith and space, we all know this is never the case but this isn't why Burlee is bad). Anyways, in March Friend #1 was charged $800 because of using too much bandwith. Now his site is about 1/2 the size of mine, and I get ~1.2mil impressions/month, so he used less then 600,000 impressions and was billed $800 for ONE MONTH! Now Friend #2 also has a site about the same size if not smalelr then Friend #1. For April, he too went over the limit for data transfer and was billed $600.

This is outrageous. Now while both have sites that get a decent amt. of traffic, the plan they were one may have been too small for them. But to DIRECTLY CHARGE THEIR CREDIT CARDS in the amount of 600 & 800 dollars !?!?!?!?!??!!?! This is INSANITY!
PWR_Paul_Banker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 03:27 PM   #2
sdarken

Unhappy

I used Burlee last year and had similar complaints.

see my comments here: http://geekvillage.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001282.html

I am pretty sure that under Burlee's "unlimited" plan you shouldn't be charged for excess bandwidth (they just throttle it back severly to prevent you from using too much). It's only when you upgrade to one of their other unthrottled plans that they will charge you for excessive bandwidth usage. (If they are really on the unlimited plan they should dispute the charges).

I ended up paying hundreds of dollars for excess bandwidth & disk usage. The excess disk usage was due to the log files for my site - which Burlee wouldn't allow me to delete.

Your friends should cancel their Burlee accounts immediately. Burlee's bandwidth reporting is at least a month behind. By the time you get your first excess bandwidth charge you have probably racked up enough usage to be charged again next month. Six weeks (or more) after I cancelled my Burlee account I received another charge for excess usage.

The whole experience made me sick.

[This message has been edited by sdarken (edited 05-03-2001).]
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 04:59 PM   #3
CYBERWORLD

Unhappy

I am not a user of Burlee

But I am interested to know if it is possible to stop them from billing your credit card...

isn't it too dangerous to give out your credit card no to someone who would charge you as much as they want without your permittion?

I don't know the rule of Credit card though.
CYBERWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 07:37 PM   #4
PWR_Paul_Banker

Unhappy

I posted this on WHT fourms as well and apparently Burlee has a rule buried in their TOS that says they can charge you $50 for ever 1gb of transfer that is in violation of their usage limits!!!
PWR_Paul_Banker is offline   Reply With Quote