Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2000, 11:07 PM   #1
pmak0
Member.

Unhappy Adult friendly banner networks?

Where can I find banner networks that allow adult sites to participate, BUT do not display adult ads?

One of my fellow webmasters is thinking about starting a hentai (adult Japanese animation pictures) website. I am trying to determine if this is economically feasible.

One of the necessary conditions of the website is that it not charge any membership fees, i.e. viewing content is free. The problem is, this would run up the bandwidth costs pretty quickly, so there would have to be some way of recovering the costs.

I looked into running pay-per-click ads for non-free hentai sites, but found in the small print that they require 1/500 of the clickthroughs to sign up in order to pay for every click (known as a ratio). I talked with
some other free hentai webmasters and they said that they were not able to satisfy the ratio, because people who visit free hentai sites are generally the kind of visitor who will spend hours searching for free content instead of paying for membership at a non-free site, so they generally don't sign up. (The aforementioned free hentai webmasters are paying for bandwidth costs out of pocket.)

So I am trying to find other options. The big banner networks I know of like Advertising.com and Flycast.com do not allow adult sites. In particular, I'm wondering if there is a good banner network that allows
adult websites to display their ads (not necessarily a network that only displays adult banners; in fact, I would not have any non-animation adult banners to be displayed on my site because some visitors only like
animated pictures). Does anyone have suggestions of networks to look at,
or good directory sites for this etc.?

I am not interested in advertising my site at this time. I just want a place that pays me for putting up their banners on my site, which does NOT contain adult ads.
pmak0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2000, 02:18 PM   #2
regier

Unhappy

Talk with the people at dimeclicks. I know that they accept warez sites even though their terms state that they don't. It might be the same way with adult sites. I hear that they don't actually pay their members though, so you might want to take that into consideration.
regier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2000, 07:28 PM   #3
singloon

GeekGuide

Thumbs down

hi ya Philip... glad to see you made it to this forum http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif hope you remember me from eva2000.com http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

sorry i can't comment on your questions since i never mess with hentai stuff....

i remember you saying it was hard enough to cover your current server cost especially for your wallpaper site's excessive bandwidth use. So is your friend and you going to use the same server ? or is this a totally separate venture ?

well welcome http://geekvillage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Evangelion in the 21st century
Eva2000.com
Australian Star Wars Prequels
ThePrequels.net
Anime2001 Network
Anime2001.com
singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 01:40 AM   #4
pmak0
Member.

Unhappy

Hi George http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

The hentai site is going to run from our current server. Bandwidth there costs $3/GB; there are places with cheaper bandwidth (like canaca.com, aplushosting.com) but I haven't found any that allow hentai content. But I figure if I can do advertising correctly, the bandwidth costs will be paid for. As for the wallpaper site bandwidth, we are now storing the full-sized JPGs offsite.

One thing that ***** is so many affiliate/banner programs ban adult websites from participating. I've even seen pay-per-sale programs banning adult websites (and I thought they shouldn't care as long as their product is sold). I think my best bet may be to get direct sponsorship from hentai related companies down the road if the hentai site becomes popular enough. Until then I'd have to find some banners/affiliate programs/something to survive on.
pmak0 is offline   Reply With Quote