PDA

View Full Version : Profitable Photo Rating Website - For Sale!

britton
11-04-2002, 01:40 PM
Photo Rating Website w\ Preferred (Paid) Membership Abilities

I'm selling my Photo Rating website, http://www.ratingyou.com , to pay for repairs to my car. The site recently, Nov 1, received an upgrade to where it now offers paid memberships. The site currently has over 600 free members and receives about 1,000 uniques per day on average.

The site was created in June 2002. It is search engine listed and traffic has been increasing monthly. The site only costs $9.95 per month hosting for unlimited bandwidth and space and is fully developed. With such small overhead, it would be difficult not to turn a profit.

The eBay Auction Address:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1784730764

(1 URL of the site
http://www.ratingyou.com

(2 age of site
Created June, 2002

(3 traffic statistics
-About 1,000 Unique Visits Per Day
Daily Average - October 2002
- Hits - 43,172
- Pages - 10,803
Monthly Totals - October 2002
- Hits - 1,338,351
- Pages - 334,913

(4 asking price
Auction reserve is set at $4,000.00

(5 your Email address
fsfbritton@aol.com

(6 gross and net revenue per month
-See my questions reply post below.

Stranger
11-04-2002, 06:04 PM
How many members per month do you get?
You make no revenue?

How much do you ask for it?

I am a member of geekvillage and find it unfair that you'd want me to bid on ebay (sign up there and bid on your item), as you listed it here aswell.

jokearound
11-04-2002, 06:40 PM
you post is contradictory..

TOPIC : "Profitable Photo Rating Website - For Sale!"
BODY : "With such small overhead, it would be difficult not to turn a profit. "

whats the full figures please?

thanks

Stranger
11-04-2002, 06:55 PM
he probably means it can be profitable :D

Biut yeh good point :)

britton
11-04-2002, 10:23 PM
Hello,

Thanks for your replies. I'll try to respond to each of your questions.

How many members per month do you get?
The site has over 630 right now. This is because I require users to submit a picture. You could, if so inclined, not make that requirement in which case thousands would sign up. I'd say I get about 5-10 new free members per day on the current system.

How much do you ask for it?
The reserve price on the auction is set to $4,000.00

I am a member of geekvillage and find it unfair that you'd want me to bid on ebay (sign up there and bid on your item), as you listed it here aswell.
I apologize for that.. At the time of me posting the site to eBay I had not even heard of this great resource for people like us. A friend told me I should post an ad here in the GeekVillage forums. He reads the threads here daily but never posts himself. eBay is free to bid on stuff. Again, sorry but I am obligated by terms of service to sell it there once its been placed.

you post is contradictory..

I don't see how. The title says profitable site, which it is, and you quoted where I said it would be hard not to make a profit. Maybe I'm too much of a stickler for webster's definitions of words but I don't see any contradictions. Site makes money, would be hard for the site not to make money. Having said that, I apologize for not listing the site's actual revenue information. The Preferred Membership (Paid) status only became available Nov 1 of this year. So I have no idea how many will sign up. There is a table on the eBay listing that shows numbers based on 20 members, 50 members, and so on.

As for advertising revenues for the month of October:
CyberAge AVS - $41.23
MiniDish (DirecTV) - $15.00
LinkShare (Magazines.Com) - $13.76
Updated.Com (Search Engine) - $4.97

So the total for October, which is before the Paid Membership Option existed, was $74.96. Screenshots are available upon e-mailing me at fsfbritton@aol.com

For November, and my new Preferred Memberships, I've already sold 1 Year Subscription $29.99, and 3 monthly $4.95.

I hope no one minds me replying to my own post but I feared if I just edited my first one, the people who asked questions wouldn't know that I had answered. I'm not really sure how these boards work yet.

Thanks!

Jan
11-04-2002, 10:55 PM
Thanks for editing your post :) And you can respond to enquiries as you have done. Welcome to Geek/Talk by the way :wave:

DJ_B
11-05-2002, 03:19 AM
I do not believe it is against eBay's rules to sell to another person outside of ebay. That is why ebay gives you the ability to cancel an auction at any time.

Now selling to another ebay member outside of ebay to avoid fee's is a big nono....

britton
11-05-2002, 03:24 AM
I do not believe it is against eBay's rules to sell to another person outside of ebay. That is why ebay gives you the ability to cancel an auction at any time.

I will still be charged the listing fee and no one has made an offer. After reserve is met, and I believe it will be, I will be unable to cancel the auction.

TDNetworks
11-05-2002, 01:55 PM
Now i'm not trying to make nobody buy your site or nothing, but i'm just going to let everyone about these type of sites since I own one...

Now I see on his ebay page, he uses the stat system that most hosting companies use these days. Now the hits, it says 48,298.. sound good dosen't it seeing that there were under 1,000 visits right? Well the hits count each file located on the server, including images. So if you have 10 images on a page, and get one person go to one page, it willl count 10 hits. I know the average person may think the hits column is the page views, but the page views is the column called "Pages". Just wanted to make that clear for everyone because I know some people may not understand what 8,000 pages is.

There is something good about his site though, it has a paid system where you can get paid from users. If you market it correct, you can make some good money easy in the long run. But, there isn't awhole lot of website that have paid membership wich may make your viewers go to another site that is free.

Last but not least, reserve price for $4,000 for a hot or not site? I think that is a bit to much for my wallet. But hey, if someone has the money for the site they can go ahead and buy it, just that I wont buy it.

britton
11-05-2002, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the clarification on what hits and page views are. Notice in my first post I've listed unique visits, pages, and hits.

I'm sorry you feel that the reserve is too much for your wallet and you're, indeed, welcome to your opinion.

Everything in life is a gamble. I've spent a large amount of money developing this site and right as I've made it have all the features of the extremely lucrative HotorNot and FaceTheJury sites, I'm forced to sell for financial reasons. Your partner, nissan240sx, suggested I pull the eBay listing and hold onto the site for a few months. Its fully developed, all it needs is more advertising on places like Overture but due to my car trouble and loss of job, I'm unable to do so or I would.

Equations:
No car = no job.
No job = no money.
Site = money if I had money.
Site = money for car transmission repair.

If I could keep the site, I would. I believe with more advertising it will make a great deal more than what I am selling it for and can do it continously.

Remember these words, they've helped me...

No rest is as good as the one that comes after an endeavor. No accomplishment is as satisfying as one that contained doubt. And no courage is as great as the one that held fear...

Ivar Erik Tollefsen

AhmedF
11-06-2002, 01:25 AM
Just a point.

Unlimited bandwidth and webspace hosting does NOT exist!

britton
11-06-2002, 02:38 AM
The Holy Grail does, indeed, exist. My host is based in Pakistan and has servers in Kansas as well. They have no qualms about providing unlimited bandwidth and space.

But if anyone doesn't trust the service that I'm using for this site and have used for various other sites for years, they're welcome to move to somewhere more expensive such as RackShack.

Remember, American dollars are a lot more valuable to the Pakistanis.

Below is a screenshot of resources used, since this was taken on the 6th of November at 1:33 in the morning..

You can see I've already used over 3 gigs of bandwidth in the first week of this month. I cleared everything with them before putting RatingYou up, they said Photo Rating sites are accepted and that they will honor their unlimited everything deal. I trust them, they've always been very helpful and willing to do what I need.

http://www.perpetual-designs.com/usage.gif

nschwaber
11-06-2002, 08:27 AM
Britton,

I think AhmedF, point was that there is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth and diskspace.

There are phyiscal limits to a hard drive and you can only get as much bandwidth as your host has paid for...

The more appropriate way to word that is unmetered bandwidth and diskspace...

See the difference ;)

Check this out for a better explanation:

http://www.unlimband.com/

Click Here!