PDA

View Full Version : Question

Conker
05-09-2001, 03:38 PM
I read a lot of people pay like 100$+ for dedicated servers. Why don't you just buy one for keeps? Are they that expensive?

ezclan
05-09-2001, 03:43 PM
a dedicated server contract comes with X amount of bandwidth... usually 30-50 GB.

The internet connection is usually the biggest expense for any site.

I have several dedicated servers.. and I could BUY any one of them for 3 months of payments.. But the bandwidth is the killer.

In fact, a colocation deal (your own server in someone else's farm) costs scant less than a dedicated server.

dbcooper
05-09-2001, 04:36 PM
A good contract also gets you some routine service items that you may tend to overlook or put off -like nightly backup, a stand-by server, or even hardware upgrades. Also, when there are problems with the T1, etc. these guys tend to have more clout re getting things running again. They are likely to be more up to date on the latest OS versions.

demae
05-09-2001, 04:57 PM
Colocation is a good choice for people who want to save money by buying the server, but don't want to worry about providing the internet connection, data backup, power backup, etc.

> like nightly backup, a stand-by server, or
> even hardware upgrades

A good co-location provider should have a nightly backup service. As for stand-by servers, don't they cost a lot so that most people don't get them?

For hardware upgrades, I guess if your box is co-located you'll have to drive down and upgrade it yourself, unless the colocation facility will do it for you.

> They are likely to be more up to date on the
> latest OS versions.

I haven't found that to be true in my experience. For example, Dialtone Internet's newly setup servers still run Red Hat Linux version 6.1 (with all the security patches, of course)!

They use that version because it's been tested extensively and they know it works, rather than the newer version 7.x which they have less experience with, and might not work with their control panel, for example.

Lil_Red
05-09-2001, 05:27 PM
There are too many problems owning a server. If the hardware goes bad - you replace it. If you lease a machine - they replace bad hardware.

Another thing - if you max out the machine's capabilities in 6 months - then you need to go buy another server to replace the obsolete one.

It's just too many headaches and leasing is pretty reasonable by comparison.

------------------
Webmaster
http://server.com