PDA

View Full Version : CS3 beginner questions!

learninglady
09-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Hi!

I've taken a couple of classes in Dreamweaver CS3 and am now starting to design my own sites. A couple of questions:

(a) How do you design/program the tabs that take you to a new page, like the ones on this site, in Dreamweaver?

(b) I'll get a page done just the way I think it should be, preview in a browser and--yikes--it has a crazy look. Extra spaces, my AP div tags seem to be a mile off where I wanted them, etc. What'm I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

learninglady
10-03-2009, 12:33 PM
? Anyone? (A recommendation of a good hands-on local class in the So Cal area would be welcome too--not an online one, I need to be able to ask questions!)

nitrojane
12-14-2009, 08:36 PM
have you gotten your problems addressed?

learninglady
12-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Hi, Nitrojane,

No, I haven't--we did get a learning video I can use, but I concluded this was too much of a "newbie" question for most members of geekvillage.

Thank you for your reply!

Learninglady

cyburrr
01-14-2010, 10:56 AM
It would be virtually impossible to troubleshoot or determine the cause without seeing the code. Is there a link you could provide? I'm no expert in Dreamweaver, but would take a look. The easiest way to learn is to make the most basic layout - place your tables, columns etc - then add piece by piece (your links - graphics - text). That way, it's easier to pinpoint what caused the problem. Good luck.

learninglady
01-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks, Cyburr! I'm actually still designing and don't have it out there yet--this has been a recurring problem in my student projects. But when I do, I'll send you a link.

cyburrr
01-15-2010, 02:33 AM
HTML editors are a nightmare.
Quick story. My laptop crashed - so, I'm on a little notebook I got for Christmas. It doesn't have Dreamweaver (C3) and no CD drive. So - I needed a free/cheap html editor til I got my laptop fixed. I went to Cnet and tried 2 different pro.grams. My site looked horrendous on both - but I basically just needed to edit the text (not the design) so I thought I'd be OK. Wrong! It seems to have scrambled my ad coding somehow. Testing in different browsers, I determined that in some the pop ups weren't working - in others, my banners wouldn't show.

Also, with the site looking so strange in the editors, I started to try and 'fix' it. Needless to say, I had to basically redo my site. When accessing with an iphone or blackberry, the page showed as coding - or what appeared to be Chinese lettering.

I've now downloaded C4 - and am trying to figure out stuff that was SO basic in C3 ..OK - mostly where to find stuff.. lol. The point - finally - is that I feel your pain. Also - that if I didn't know html, I'd be DONE. If you can, learn it. Also - test in as many browsers as you can. I was floored when a visitor to my site sent me a screen cap of how my site looked in Google Chrome (which I'd never even heard of - let alone tested my site in *sigh*) - what a mess. Honestly, I prefer doing most of my work in html. WYSIWYG my but.

inspiroHost
02-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Google css navigation tabs. There should be plenty of tutorials.

Gennie32
02-28-2010, 03:08 AM
take up tutorils seriously.. HTML coding could be dead easy or messy depending on ur knowhow component.. all the best!

JanHask
09-22-2010, 02:26 PM
I agree with the argument that some softwares mess your code, i have experimented that myself. Once i opened an HTML in Dreamweaver 8, and it was made with Dreamweaver CS3, and it messed my code, because DW8 was too old to recognize some tools and scripts. And it made a mess. It's true the backwards compatibility problems. Never do that, open a new version file with an old version, it will mess your work.