PDA

View Full Version : Google gives up on the newspaper market

Czar
01-24-2009, 02:39 AM
Google Print Ads was an initiative that Google hoped would help to extend its range beyond search-based ads and into the print medium. They teamed up with hundreds of popular newspapers and attempted to allow advertisers to buy print ads on a competitive basis, like their AdWords program, with the same simplicity as buying a search ad.

Google has since admitted that its newspaper partners were making very little from this and that Google's own earnings from the program were lower than anticipated, so they have since scrapped the initiative (http://www.internetnews.com/breakingnews/article.php/3797491/Google+Halts+Ad+Program+for+Newspapers.htm).

The search player still offers tools for advertisers looking to purchase radio and TV spots and hasn't announced how successful those programs have been for the company. For now, though, it seems that search is still where the action's at for the big G.

Zila1
01-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Newspapers will become history soon, that's everything I can say...

Strider
01-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Nah, I don't think so, newspapers will always be around. Certainly they will have to re-invent themselves and adapt and many that are alive today won't be around under the current ownership 20 years from now, but newspapers as a medium isn't going away.

marylane
01-29-2009, 12:54 AM
I can't imagine that they can last for too long, too expensive, bad for the environment and redundant, exept I would miss crossword puzzles