PDA

View Full Version : How would the web change if Google bought GoDaddy?

Czar
09-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Despite the edginess of its brand, which seems contrary to the image that Google likes to convey, GoDaddy has been growing closer and closer to the Big G in recent years.

The company is the world's largest domain registrar and its lead is remarkably strong. GoDaddy is also a behind-the-scenes partner of Google's "Apps for your Domain" offering. It also uses Google results to fuel its parking pages and promotes AdWords offerings regularly; often as an incentive for upgrading to non-domain products. GoDaddy also owns an interesting patent related to the assignment of reputation ranking to domain names based on their owner.

There has been a reasonable amount of buzz lately about a possible deal being in the works. This article is just one that makes reference of the possibility:
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2177336,00.asp

If Google was to buy GoDaddy, do you think they'd have far too much control over the destiny of web publishers, or would they use their increased power for good, as their motto would have us believe?

Brast
09-19-2007, 02:42 AM
I think that it is not possible and godaddy won't be sold.

Czar
09-19-2007, 02:49 AM
Anything's possible - particularly for a company that is valued at $167 BILLION.

Do you feel that GoDaddy wouldn't want to be purchased, or that antitrust legislators wouldn't allow Google to gain that much control over core internet functions?

Timinator
09-19-2007, 09:19 PM
If Google was to buy GoDaddy, do you think they'd have far too much control over the destiny of web publishers, or would they use their increased power for good, as their motto would have us believe?

Interesting, How would they control web publishers? I'm a noob just asking.

emmzee
09-19-2007, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't be too excited if Google bought GoDaddy. I like and support both of these companies, but lately is anyone else getting a bit nervous about Google slowly expanding into pretty much every area possible, buying out companies, etc? I dunno, just makes me nervous, it would mean I'd be relying on Google for even more of what I need for my personal & business needs on the web.

Czar
09-19-2007, 11:28 PM

Interesting, How would they control web publishers? I'm a noob just asking.As Emmzee suggested, Google more-or-less has the power to determine whether or not a publisher is wildly successful, or is forced to struggle to make a living online. They obviously own a lion's share of search traffic, but also run the web's biggest online ad network (on which a number of publishers have come to rely as a primary source of revenue), the biggest video portal and many other systems that - if things went haywire and a publisher found themselves in Google's bad books - could do some serious damage to a publisher's prospects.

If they owned GoDaddy, publishers could certainly still buy domains from eNom or whoever if they didn't want to keep all eggs in one basket, but Google would still control more domains than any other company on earth as a result of the acquisition, so that would be signficant.

Timinator
09-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks, I understand better now. I forgot they bought U-Tube.

Just wondering if this would get approved, just like you're saying, they would be too big, and control too much of the market.

Del
09-21-2007, 12:22 AM
I wouldn't be surprized, YouTube was unlikely making much revenue, and most likely had enough lawsuits to wallpaper the entire Google.com offices. Youtube is still (to the gratitude of many) filled with copyrighted vids.

I've forgotten why but I don't think I like GoDaddy, a feeling probably started in my early net days. I would think along with the YouTube theme they'd go for MySpace next.

Czar
09-21-2007, 12:53 AM
I would think along with the YouTube theme they'd go for MySpace next.You're probably not far off. I don't think News Corp would be willing to let go of MySpace, given that they're a competitor of Google's in many respects, but Google does have an interest in social networks. They already own Blogger.com and recently bought Orkut.com, which is similar to MySpace and Facebook, though not as well known in English-speaking markets.

Bondings
09-24-2007, 07:07 PM
@Czar, Google didn't buy Orkut. It was made by one of their programmers in one of the 'free time' projects they have.
Orkut was launched on January, 2004 by the search company Google, the brainchild of Orkut Büyükkökten, a Turkish software engineer, who developed it as an independent project while working at Google.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orkut

I also don't think Google would buy a registrar like GoDaddy since they are rather into providing (mostly free) web services to users.

Czar
09-24-2007, 08:13 PM
My mistake regarding Orkut. Thanks for the info, Bondings. It's great to see that some of those personal projects not only see the light of day, but can occasionally do very well. :)

100mb web hosting
09-30-2007, 01:49 PM
if google bought godaddy, google adwords giveaway with each purchase would be out of control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!