PDA

View Full Version : Hello from California

Cumbrowski
11-07-2006, 05:35 AM
Hello everybody,

I could not find a forum to introduce myself so I guess this one is as good as others :).

I stumbled across this forum by accident through shareasale and the name intrigued me. Geek? ... yes, here! :)

Well, my name is Carsten and I am an Internet Marketer and also a Web and Database Developer with BBS background (I used to be a Sysop and also did ASCII and ANSI Text art).

I don't want to make my post too long. The URL in my Signature takes you to my website. Check the "About" Page and you will be able to find references to my various interests and activities.

Cheers,

Del
11-07-2006, 05:43 AM
Greetings Earthling! :wave: I come from planet 'Yellow head without bodies and Snow people' apparently. :D Oh, and green smiles.

Steve_S
11-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Carsten, welcome to the "Village" :) and thanks for sharing your knowledge with the GEEKS!

More link love: Read one of this GEEKS thought provoking and insightfull blogs at:

http://www.revenews.com/carstencumbrowski/2006/11/affiliate_marketing_organizati_1.html

Where is Jim? /joke

BTW, since you mentioned SAS, Brian/CEO actually began his journey to prominence right here in GV!

Continued best wishes :)

Larwee
11-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Welcome to Geek/Talk, Cumbrowski.:wave:

We have met before elsewhere, so your username quickly caught my attention. It is good to see you here at Geek/Talk.:)

I hope you will take part in some of the Geek/Talk discussions. Your vast knowledge can be helpful to some of our Geek/Talk members and visitors.

Geek/Talk has been around for more than 8 years. I'm glad you finally found us. I'm sure you will enjoy being a Geek/Talk member.

Cumbrowski
11-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Welcome to Geek/Talk, Cumbrowski.:wave:

We have met before elsewhere, so your username quickly caught my attention. It is good to see you here at Geek/Talk.:)

I hope you will take part in some of the Geek/Talk discussions. Your vast knowledge can be helpful to some of our Geek/Talk members and visitors.

Geek/Talk has been around for more than 8 years. I'm glad you finally found us. I'm sure you will enjoy being a Geek/Talk member.

Hi Del, hot/cold desert smiles back to you from the central valley :)

Hello Steve.. yeah, the initiative.. what a failure.. $130 worth of stuff that help you as Affiliate, Merchant or AM was not enough to get people to think at least 5 minutes about a name for a possible organization and send it in via email. Isn't that messed up or what? I posted in another forum* (see link in the RN post) that we better get our s**t together or somebody will step in and regulate the mess for us. A thought that makes me flinch.

Hi Larwee, I responded to your pm at the other (other)* forum. Yeah, my name is unique and very very rare. type just the last name into Google. Only me, my sister and parents show up and maybe a handful of other results with people from Poland with that name (where it is rare as well). Its a blessing and a curse, It takes people forever to remember it, but once they do, they are unable to forget it ;)

* I have not read the forum rules in detail. What does it say about mentioning and linking to threads at other related forums, Marketing, SEO, SEM, Web Development etc.? The "other" Forum prohibits it and the "other (other)" forum does not mind as long as it is not a flat out attempt to promote the other forum and not a valuable contribution to the forum discussion itself (isn't that right Larwee?).

Cheers,

Larwee
11-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Carsten, I see that we both avoided making mention of that other forum that you were a member at long before you joined Geek/Talk.

You know, it is a very good idea to always read the forum rules.

Here at Geek/Talk you may link to threads in another community if it is something that is related to the discussion that you are posting in and helps add to what is being discussed.

I hope you will look around here at Geek/Talk and join in the discussions when you find something of interest.

Jan
11-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Hello Carsten, welcome to the village of geeks :wave:

Generall speaking, linking to other forums *occasionally* is fine so long as it isn't to some self promotional post/thread of the poster, is relevant to the topic and contains information that can't be found here. If the same member only posts links to other forums in each or many posts, then that is clearly traffic extraction and doesn't contribute to the discussion here. Common sense rules basically ;)

For example if someone was asking about x company and a search here brought up little to nothing, but if a member knew of a helpful discussion outlining pros and cons of said company at another forum you were browsing, then sure, post away.

Cumbrowski
11-08-2006, 01:21 AM
basically what I said :). Common sense rules. Just for the people that don't understand the purpose of the place.

Sorry for not reading the rules. Call be arrogant or old school or whatever. If it is a community and nothing I depend on economically, I follow the rules of common sense, especially if it is a community I am familiar with in a sense of general attitude, belief and values.

If I break a rule by accident or I did not know about that makes sense, I will apologize and take the justified pounding.

If it is ridiculous in my opinion, then its time to leave anyway :)
I leaned that this attitude works well, because I can be myself without the need for double checking a rule book and holding back because I am not sure or insecure about it. A forum is like an old BBS system. It only works well if like minded people take part and share, give and take.

You probably noticed it already when you read my blog posts and abw or 5 star posts. I also gave my 2 cents to some topics here already which I hope to be considered a valuable addition.

Cheers,

Czar
11-08-2006, 01:31 AM
Well said. That's definitely the type of environment we like to encourage here. Open, honest exchange without too much baggage works perfectly.

Our rules are quite strict in a few areas, but as you've already discovered, they're driven by common sense and most will be intuitive to those who have participated on similar forums elsewhere. Our rules are actually designed to make the free flow of conversation even smoother - by eliminating self-promotional rubbish, flames, unjustified claims, anonymous complaints and other 'noise' from the process.

For established players such as yourself, our rules won't get in the way of a good ol' brainstorming chit-chat. :D

Enjoy!

Cumbrowski
11-08-2006, 01:35 AM
I hear you. My Inbox is full enough already and that is after the 1000+ emails of spam per week deleted (to say the least). There is no need to add to that :)