michau [at] michau [dot] name

URL of the site:
http://www.themaphomepage.com/

Age of site:
1 month

Traffic statistics (PageViews & Uniques ONLY):
5000 pageviews / month

Source of traffic:
Not currently advertised, traffic comes from Ebay auctions for states.

Auction starting price:
$100

Gross and net revenue per month (Total):
Revenue is generated by selling states on Ebay auctions. So far states were sold for an average $20 per state, which just compensates the Ebay fees. This is because due to site not being advertised - see below. If properly adversited, the prices and revenue will be much higher.

The specific source of your revenue (Names/Details for each. DO NOT post your Google AdSense data):
Sales of states (see below)

Copyright status of the content on the site:
Unique, created by me.

Any other pertinent data:
TheMapHomepage.com is a unique site which was inspired by Million Dollar Homepage, but is much different. Instead of pixels you sell U.S. states. States are sold on Ebay auctions.

The site has great potential, because the concept is novel - I have never seen this before. This is not a copycat like hundreds of pixel sites, it's a unique idea.

The owner can create a lot of publicity around this site by submitting presse releases (on sites such as PRWeb.com), posting in forums, etc. Getting publicity will mean getting traffic, and traffic will mean much higher prices for the states. I could do that myself, I just don't have time for this currently, therefore I'd like to sell it.

Work on the site consists mainly of setting Ebay auctions for the states, and updating the map file with logos of winning bidders. The map file can be edited in GIMP and is setup with appropriate layers to simplify things (GIMP can save PSD files, so Photoshop will do as well). Links/descriptions are stored in simple text files which are accessile via FTP. No programming skills are necessary.

I need to add that hosting does not come with the site, because I host it on my own dedicated server. I will of course assist the buyer in moving the hosting, as well as getting started with the site.

I will sell to the highest bidder when I feel the price has reached my expectations. I'm not pressed to sell it, just feel it would do better on someone's else hands.

Czar
02-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Good luck, Michal. :) This is definitely one of the most original MillionDollarHomepage-inspired ideas I've seen. The eBay component and the novelty of the map idea are both clever. Hopefully you or the buyer will be able to build buzz before too many of the states are sold.

Best of luck with the sale.

jcourtenay
02-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Interesting idea. Why not sell the world rather than just the U.S.?

Michau
02-15-2006, 02:04 AM
I thought Americans (the biggest online market) would be more willing to buy their own states, than other countries. But this idea can be extended to a world map, Canadian provinces, etc. with the same script.

Highest bid is currently $110.