PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here been told...

wly
05-13-2001, 03:16 AM
to put down copyrighted materials from their website from their owners? (i.e. celebrity pics, games, music, etc.?) What did you do?

Kathy
05-13-2001, 08:27 AM
I haven't been told to do this since I use no one else's copyrighted material on my site but my own....(except where noted and the appropriate copyright documentation attached. ie: Vbulletin's licensed software)

You should not use copyrighted material on your site (or anyplace else) that does not belong to you. The copyright belongs to the owner...and if that isn't you, you are in violation.

Take it down. Create your own material.

[This message has been edited by Kathy (edited 05-13-2001).]

HostAB
05-13-2001, 03:39 PM
Well, if a games/music company tell you to take their materials down, that mean you have either warez/mp3 which is not good. As Kathy said, you should not use copyrighted material on your site and creat your own.

Cheers!

malis
05-13-2001, 05:48 PM
I host a cartoon site, and when I was first starting it, I had a few links to one cartoonist's site. At the time I didn't think it was a big deal because I was linking to pages on is site from my link directory. A few days later I received an email from him telling me I was violating his copywrite and if I wanted to continue displaying his cartons I'd have to pay fees, and if I didn't take them down he'd have a lawyer contact me.

I replied quickly telling him I did not realize that linking to his site was a copywrite violation, but that I would remove the links ASAP (which I did), and that if he was interested in showing his cartoons on my site, I'd be happy to do so. I have never heard back from him.

Since that experience, I now contact all artists directly before I show any of their cartoons - even if I'm just linking to their site. The majority are delighted for me to show their stuff, some have politely said "no", but a very few have been fairly irritated that I'd want to show their work for free.

------------------
Rick
Webtowns.org (http://www.webtowns.org/Webmaster_Resources/Advertisement_Services/) - Ad services - listed, rated, reviewed!