PDA

View Full Version : Help, I lost my PR!

vonkal2000
02-16-2005, 11:14 AM
Can anyone explain this? I just completely redesigned my site, and uploaded the new version about a week ago. Yesterday I noticed that my PR of 4 for my home page disappeared.

Although I redesigned the site, the basic code structure and theme didnít change at all, so where did my PR go?

Larwee
02-16-2005, 11:44 AM
vonkal2000, before I say the first thing that came to mind, I'll ask you an even more important question than you asked.

Did anything change in relation to where you were in the search results? Are you at about the same place as you were before the redesign?

Where you are in the search results is what really matters.

PageRank isn't as important as some people think. It might be good for the ego. But, PageRank is one of more than 100 factors that Google uses to determine where you place in the search results.

A page with a PageRank of 4 can rank higher than a page with a PageRank of 6. It happens very often.

I didn't answer the question that you asked. But, if you are at or near where you were before the redesign, then you should pay little to no attention to the PageRank bar.

Actually a lot of people never pay any attention to PageRank. They just simply make their pages the very best that they can and everything else takes care of itself.

Since you didn't say that your site or certain pages in your site really dropped after the redesigned I assumed that they didn't. If they had you would have logically been concerned about that. The only think you mentioned was PageRank.

If you have the same URL and the same backlinks and only did a design change, the PageRank should remain the same unless you did something very strange.

If you are talking about the fastfood site, I checked it and it has a PageRank of 4. If that is the site, it still have the same PageRank.

vonkal2000
02-16-2005, 01:16 PM
Thank you very much. I donít know why the page rank of 4 doesnít show in my G bar, but I appreciate you letting me know that you still see it at 4.

Regarding my page SE position, it still stinks! I am at position 300+ after optimizing my pages over and over. On the plus side, after the redesign, my traffic (and $) have tripled. A very dramatic increase, that for the first time, has proven to me that my hard work wasnít in vain!

I am still very puzzled about why I canít get a better position in G. I have come to the conclusion that it has to be links. Thatís the only area I havenít done anything on, and I am now in the process of trying to actively develop links. I hope it works.

Thanks larwee for telling me that you still see my PR of 4.

Larwee
02-16-2005, 01:51 PM
vonkal2000, have you tried to uninstall and then re-install your Google toolbar?

There are places you can also check your PageRank without a toolbar. One such site is http://www.prsearch.net/ I just went there and typed in fastfood.com and it showed your site was listed and it showed it with a PR of 4.

You have a lot of competition. I don't know what keyword or keywords you have been optimizing, possibly fast food and/or fast food restaurant. You might want to also try something that is like that but with not as much competition.

Have you tried the suggestion tool http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/

If you put a word or term in it will return a list that people have also searched that are similiar to what you entered. You might want to try to optimize for some of them since some of them have less competition and could still give you good results.

vonkal2000
02-16-2005, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to reinstall my G bar.

On some of your questions, my site has 5 main areas and I have optimized all of my main pages for those areas as follows:

Home Page: fast food restaurants, fast food franchises, fast food menus, mcdonalds, burger king, fast food jobs etc.

Fast Food Restaurants: restaurants, fast food, menus, mcdonalds, burger king, etc. (I also have pages optimized for all of the above, for each city in the US. i.e., Los Angeles restaurants or New York fast food, etc. 31,000 of them)

Fast Food Franchises: fast food franchises, business, small business, franchises

Fast Food Jobs: restaurant jobs, fast food jobs, employment, mcdonalds jobs, etc.

Nutrition: fat, calories, mcdonalds calorie counter, fast food health, etc.

News: fast food news, fast food industry, restaurant news, etc.

In general, I doubt there is any other site which has as much information about fast food as mine. And, although I understand that doesnít automatically make my site number 1 for fast food in G results, it should make it a contender! Just my domain name alone should provide some benefit. Take the following example. These are all two word common search terms.

used cars
flea market
pet grooming

In the G results for all of these terms, there are sites on the first page which contain the search term in the domain name. It seems perfectly logical that a site with a domain name of www.stockprices.com would be about stock prices. If it were not about stock prices, but about roller skates, I could understand why G would not list it on page one.

The sites listed above mine in G are, in some cases, completely unrelated to fast food or restaurants or anything near the search term ďfast foodĒ. But they are still listed above mine.

All of this is very confusing to me and I am almost paranoid as to if G is upset with my site for some reason. Maybe something about my code, or some little thing that I never thought about.

I use an optimization program to check my pages, mark-up validation to check the html, etc. But I really donít get what I am doing wrong (except for the inbound links).

Anyway, very sad about G results, but very happy about new traffic increase.

mbhmirc
02-20-2005, 03:27 PM
You might want to try the diagonstic views on:-
http://gritechnologies.com/tools/spider.go

obviously put your own site in there, make sure all your pages return status ok etc :)