PDA

View Full Version : Google PageRank update

Larwee
01-02-2005, 12:10 AM
Those of you who are really interested in PageRank probably know that Google has been updating the visible PageRank -- what is shown in the toolbar.

Some of the famous big sites have a lower PageRank shown than they did before this update.

Of course, as you know, PageRank is just one of the factors Google uses for determining placement in the search results.

Rivux
01-02-2005, 12:17 AM
I hope they continue with this quarterly PR update, its a nice schedule for those that sell sites based on PR. Just enough time to accumulate inventory but not so much time that sites get stale before you can sell them.

LinkAdage
01-03-2005, 04:25 PM
It seems that there are now rolling micro Pagerank updates with a major update every 2 to 3 months. We have seen many pages change pagerank during the past two months when we were in between Pagerank updates.

However, during January 1 Pagerank update we noticed the continuation of the downward trend of overall pagerank across the board. Hit particularly hard were PR9s as nearly half that we track dropped to a PR8, this tends to send a ripple effect downward through the web dropping the pagerank of the sites linked further down the food chain.

A fairly reliable rule of thumb is that today’s PR is -1 overall from six months ago. So if your site is a pagerank 6 or 7 it is doing pretty darn good. The days of the mom and pop, PR8s and 9s are almost over...

blubster0
01-28-2005, 08:08 AM
Hi, where do you check your page rank anyway?

I have the google toolbar but I've never come across an actual page ranking, all I see is the little page ranking bar up top but it doesn't give you a number.

Thanks

blubster

Larwee
01-28-2005, 08:44 AM
blubster0, you just put your mouse indicator over it and you will see a number.

You can also search and get the page rank of various sites without a toolbar. Seach this thread for details http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26464

blubster0
01-28-2005, 08:55 AM
duh!

I can't believe I've never actually read the little scrollover thing. I've had the toolbar forever and never even noticed that.

Thanks larwee

blubster