PDA

View Full Version : Happy 6th Birthday GV!

Steve_S
08-07-2004, 01:40 PM
I couldn't decide what to get you in appreciation of your support, loyality, tolerance, compliance, and generally outstanding contributions.

So...........

I decided that 4 new Smilies would be kinda nice:

:banghead:

:bogey:

:clapping:

:scream:

Facts: Launched on 8/27/98 via UBB which at the time used a flat file DB.

A circa 1999 screen grab for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.geekvillage.com/images/geek-talk-9-99.gif

The rest is history :)

Our best wishes and thanks to all of you.

James
08-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Wow, I find it so odd that the open discussion has less posts than webmaster discussion--the on-topicness of it all is probably why so many people come here.

Happy 6th. www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/jro/cake.gif

emmzee
08-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Congrats! Glad this place is still open after all these years. It has been an invaluable resource for information ... I can't imagine how much money I would have lost to crooked affiliate programs without this place.

I can't say for sure but I think I originally found this forum while researching a company called "Cyber Thrill" ... you oldbies will probably remember that name :scream: Glad I never fell for their false promises!

Oh yea, hopefully while I've been here I've managed to help out a few people too! :D

Czar
08-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Well done everyone.

You've helped to make this one of the most relevant and influential online advertising / web development / affiliate marketing communities around.

May the next six years be as eventful! :D

Jan
08-08-2004, 12:53 AM
I am happy to have been a member for more than half of that time. Happy Birthday :cheers:

Kathy
08-08-2004, 08:25 AM
Happy Birthday GV! May your years be long and the discussions be full.

Congrats Steve!

sdarken
08-09-2004, 12:32 AM
Congratulations Steve. Any estimate as to the number of hours you have invested in this website in the last 6 years?

And another question for you to ponder. Can we equate a website's age with human years. eg: 1 year in dog-years = 7 human years. How old is a 6 year old website? Does a website like this have a life expectancy?

James
08-09-2004, 12:44 AM
The life expectancy is: However long it can go depending on the people who post, the moderation, costs, and fluxuations in the internet's market. Basically: It's random as anything. But one thing's certain: it's mature for it's age :)

I am happy to have been a member for more than half of that time.
I'm happy to have been a member for any of that time. And I'm sure everyone here feels the same way.

Steve_S
08-09-2004, 01:20 PM
Actually, our success has far more to do with each of YOU :) so pat yoursleves on the back and congrats. In many respects I'm just a sorta gatekeeper who happened to be in the right place at the right time. Plus, Iv'e been surrounded by Mods, Geek Guides, and Members who are really great folks and generally much smarter than I am. :)

Iv'e never totaled hours spent and that can fluctuate a great deal depeding on exactly whats going on. Community based Forums are very labor intensive since they run 24/7/365.

Yep, I think Communities do have a life expectancy but I'm not sure what it is. Certainly the "vision" and consistent reinforcement of our established Culture have a great deal to do with it. Plus huge changes can really affect Communities. No one likes radical changes and thats certainly understandable.

:angel:

Aaron Dragushan
08-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Congrats Steve! :clapping: :clapping:

In Internet years, this forum is Old School, big time. All the best to you (and to everyone who's made it possible!) and here's to another 60 years.

All zeros are intentional!

mattj
08-14-2004, 10:45 PM
Happy Bday and keep up the great work.

Duchz
08-16-2004, 08:37 AM
Happy bday! Although not posting regularly I consult this community everytime I need professional advice regarding 'internet advertising' . Keep up the good work. ;)

georgec
08-17-2004, 02:38 PM
Happy Birthday! GV is one of those rare sites that's not just a forum, but an archive of great information. Glad that hasn't changed all these years. :)

denisdekat
08-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Fun, last six years went by super fast for me, almost scary

:eek: