PDA

View Full Version : Need Advise on Buying a Website

twincall
03-10-2004, 07:21 AM
Hello

Out of the blue I've been offered the opportunity to buy an established website along with all of its existing stock, customer base - infact everything.
I've never brought a website business before and would be really grateful if anyone could advise what research I need to do, questions I need to ask etc prior to agreeing a sale.

Thanks in advance

:D

JFS
03-11-2004, 07:17 PM
hi :)
well...if you want to buy a site i recomend you to look at the buy/sell websites section here and it's rules.
age of site, traffic (uniques and hits), and others details are mainly listed there.
If you look around on the replies on some threads you will find some aditional very important data.
i'm not very experienced on buying websites in fact, i haven't buy one so far hehehe but that's a good start point in my opinion, some older/more experienced members/buyers can give aditional info.

good luck on your sales

mlewi
03-11-2004, 08:00 PM
REALLY make sure the claims that they make match up to the reality of the site. Insist on things like independant or self verification of things like it's tyraffic base, member base, etc.

Do not rush into it. Make sure to check every claim they make and that it can be backed up.

updatedsports
03-12-2004, 10:11 AM
Heres some thing I do before I spend a lot of money on a website: In no particular order.

1. Ask to see stats, uniques, page views, refferals ect...
2. Check archive.org to see how long the website has been around.
3. Search google groups and see if there are any comments about the website you are buying
4. Look up the sellers name on a people search and make sure everything matches up with the whois information.
5. Do a search for the sellers name on google.
6. Do a search for the sellers email address on google.

jdsalr
03-15-2004, 11:10 PM
I might be a able to help you. i do this for a living.

Steve_S
03-16-2004, 02:09 AM
Good thoughts gang.

See the sticky post for this Forum at:

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13500

Carefully read the section at the bottom titled: Perform your due dillegence

Then carefully read the artickle in this same section which is described as: Catch the crooks and protect yourself in How To Purchase or Sell a developed Web Site. Tips and advice you won't find anywhere else.

:)

ajiabs
03-17-2004, 11:12 AM
For the transaction make sure you use some escrow service. If it is large use the escrow service through a real lawyer. Otherwise you can use escrow.com or similar services. I am in the middle of buying a site. I am glad I used escrow. The seller has been either a complete novice or just like to be a pain in the neck.

Good luck in the transaction