PDA

View Full Version : Offering My website for sale

msealsmusic
02-19-2004, 11:37 AM
Ok .. Why am I selling my perty site. Cause in the past few months I haven't had time to upgrade it any And it can use some. Plus considering I am going through a divorce and need to get my own place etc.

Lets see what Can I tell you about my sound hosting website.

#1 expenses. Due to the fact that is is a sound hosting site the only expense is the server. Currently it is on a 10mbit dedicated connection and that costs $360.00 a month. You can keep it wher it is if you want or move it What ever you like the best (total expenses per month $360.00 and an hour of your time)

#2 traffic Ok the website was set up where someone who uses one of the files it hosts would place a banner on their site thus causing you to gain more traffic from them in turn. Most of the traffic is a guestimated age 12 - 21
links to view traffic
http://extremetracking.com/open;unique?login=mseals3 shows guestimate 2-3,000 uniques a day

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?q=&p=Det_W_t_40_L1&url=msealsmusic.com shows today I am at 48,944 ranking . this fluctuates alot but you can see it is about there
Link popularity

http://www.marketleap.com/publinkpop/ rates me at 41,533
http://www.widexl.com/remote/link-popularity/ is 43422

#3 gross Cash made (can tell you what each advertiser is on request)
advertiser #1 $400 - $500 a month (round it at 450 " made 350 so far this month )
Advertiser #2 approx $300 (made $210 so far this month)
Advertiser #3 I have 4 "little" advertisers I will combine for this
$60
Total gross $810.00 - expenses 360 = $450 net profit

#4 website been up over a year url is http://www.msealsmusic.com

#5 how much do I want for it. Make a reasonable offer (NOTE: no i won't sell it for 50 bucks)

any questions post here or email me at webmaster@msealsmusic.com

cheznoir
02-19-2004, 11:59 AM
Is your only content, copyright protected songs? That is all I see your site is.

While you can say you hold no responsibility for the files uploaded to your server, you do. And you clearly do when you sell those files as part of your site.

I am sorry for your circumstances, but I cannot find any legal content on this site that would warrant any amount for your site.

Chet

msealsmusic
02-19-2004, 01:04 PM
according to my attorneys I am not liable for what anyone uploads and the only repercussion that would happen is the fact the artist could petition for me to remove their sounds from the site.
In a nutshell it is still a grey area and there has been no laws passed to say any different as of yet. Also I don't claim to own any of the content and users upload their own stuff. this is how I get around the grey area of the law.

cheznoir
02-19-2004, 01:15 PM
While I would suggest getting a lawyer a little more familiar with the law, after all napster didn't upload the music either...

Did you ask this lawyer about your ability to sell the content as your own? Because that is what is at issue when you sell it here, you are either selling it with content or not, you cannot say well i am selling it, but the content which just happens to be on my server is not mine, but you get.

Anyone who has watched C.O.P.S. once, knows the excuse, "this isn't my jacket, its my cousin's jacket, I have no idea how the crack got in there" - is not a valid excuse.

Chet

msealsmusic
02-19-2004, 01:33 PM
napster I heard of them .. they are that program that is now making several million bucks a month aren't they. Anyway
The law say no downloading and this is what I am not allowing.
Also if your worried about the content if you was actually going to buy it rather than argue the points. I can remove all the content before I sell it and it would all be back up in about a week cause Like I said i don't upload the music.

cheznoir
02-19-2004, 03:48 PM
Well i am looking for entertainment sites and have picked up a few recently. But no thanks.

And Napster the filesharing company was sued out of existence. What you see now was purchased by Roxio out of bankruptcy. So not really a good example to prove your point.

Chet

Czar
02-19-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by cheznoir
And Napster the filesharing company was sued out of existence. What you see now was purchased by Roxio out of bankruptcy. And legitimised. Napster v2 pays the record companies sizeable royalties for the right to distribute their music commercially.

Oh, and in case you missed it, Sharman Networks (owners of Kazaa) had their offices and homes of their executives raided last week. While the law admittedly is still grey in regards to a few aspects of user-submitted information and liability, the DMCA and other new media revisions are quickly pushing these systems out of business.

An entity would have to be very brave to purchase any property that derives its revenue primarily through illegitimate P2P music sharing.

c3r3br0
02-20-2004, 11:07 AM
Napster is the worse example. I looked into using their service when they came back on the scene, but the TOS is so vague. For instance, with the subscription service they make mention of renewing your license to listen to the mp3's each month. Does this mean once you stop the service you have to remove or delete the MP3's? Who knows, but it is clear from the language that they are just trying to cover all bases and not even appear to be violating any licensing.

What would help your sale is to get a letter from the RIAA that your site is legit, then there wouldn't be any need to defend the legitimacy of the site.

Breesy
02-21-2004, 05:01 AM
For his own sake I would very much advise against even letting the RIAA know of the existance of his site...

Your site does not come under the grey area as you are storing and relaying the data. Companies like sharman networks (kazaa) have survived in this business because they are purely a means of transmission, the files are transfered directly between two peers.

jdsalr
02-21-2004, 09:44 PM
All legalities aside, what is your bottom line. If it is a couple hundred bucks, I'll buy it. Let me know (email) jdsalr at yahoo.com